Thread: Deaths from painkiller OD's triple in a decade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Deaths from painkiller OD's triple in a decade

Something to think about: http:// http://news.yahoo.com/deaths...160401910.html

The number of overdose deaths from powerful painkillers more than tripled over a decade, the government reported Tuesday — a trend that a U.S. health official called an epidemic, but one that can be stopped.

Prescription painkillers such as OxyContin, Vicodin and methadone led to the deaths of almost 15,000 people in 2008, including actor Heath Ledger. That's more than three times the 4,000 deaths from narcotics in 1999.

Such painkillers "are meant to help people who have severe pain," said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, which issued the report. "They are, however, highly addictive."

The report shows nearly 5 percent of Americans ages 12 and older said they've abused painkillers in the past year — using them without a prescription or just for the high. In 2008-09 surveys, Oklahomans reported the highest rate of abuse; the lowest was in Nebraska and Iowa.

The overdose deaths reflect the spike in the number of narcotic painkillers prescribed every year — enough to give every American a one-month supply, Frieden said.

Prescriptions rose as doctors aimed to better treat pain and as new painkillers hit the market.

Frieden and White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske, who joined him at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, said states need to take sharp actions to reverse the long-running trend.

States oversee prescription practices and can rigorously monitor prescriptions and crack down on "pill mills" and "doctor shopping" by patients, Frieden said.

Doctors should limit prescriptions — giving only a three-day supply for acute pain, for example — and look for alternative treatments, he said.

"For chronic pain, narcotics should be the last resort," he added.

A federal drug plan announced this year calls for state programs to track prescriptions. All but two states — Missouri and New Hampshire — have approved them, said Kerlikowske. But a number of states don't have them in place yet or doctors aren't using them enough to check on their patients' past prescriptions, he said.

"America's prescription drug abuse epidemic is not a problem that's going to be solved overnight, but at the same time, we're not powerless," said Kerlikowske, who urged parents to get rid of unneeded or expired painkillers so they aren't misused.

Some states are taking action. Earlier this month, a doctor in Southern California was sentenced to prison for illegally selling tens of thousands of prescriptions for painkillers and sedative. Ohio now requires pain clinics to be licensed by the state, and limits the amount of pills that can be dispensed at clinics. Florida also has cracked down on so-called "pill mills."

Overall, there were 36,450 fatal overdoses in 2008, including accidental cases and suicides involving illegal drugs like heroin and cocaine along with prescription medicines. About three-quarters of the deaths from prescriptions involved narcotic painkillers.

That's the year Ledger died from an accidental overdose of painkillers and sedatives. A few months later, a 12-year-old girl from suburban New York overdosed on methadone she bought from a 15-year-old boy.

Narcotics also played a role in the recent deaths of a 27-year-old model at the mansion of an Anheuser-Busch heir and of former hockey player Derek Boogaard.

Other findings of the CDC report:

— New Mexico had the highest overdose death rate (27 per 100,000) and Nebraska had the lowest (5.5). The national rate was 11.9.

— Fatal overdoses were more likely in men, middle-aged adults and whites and American Indians.

— Sales of prescription painkillers are highest in the Southeast and Northwest.

Frieden noted the wide differences between overdose death rates among states. For example, West Virginia's rate is about 26 per 100,000 while neighboring Virginia's rate is only 9.

"This highlights the importance of states getting policies right on preventing drug abuse," he said.

Do they really think policy will prevent drug abuse? This is LEGISLATED drug abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Do they really think policy will prevent drug abuse? This is LEGISLATED drug abuse.
    At least it will be tracked. Don't think it will make much of a difference but, it could get drugs out of the hands of some abusers and perhaps the doctors that over-prescribe pain killers.

I bet that most of the homicides, burgleries, suicides and other violent crimes involve drug abuse.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Not surprising at all

If you look at the longitudinal trend you'll see that this problem of liberal prescribing (Pain medication) followed closely on the heals of legislation that allowed Physicians to be sued for not aggressively treating pain. When I was in nursing school they were just starting to talk about pain as the "Fifth vital sign" I remember teachers saying that if a patient asid they were in pain then they were in pain and it needed to be treated.

Doctor's today hand out Painkillers like lollypops because they are afraid of being sued. Then there are some like my old scip hack who were writing prescriptions and selling meds out the back door of their offices for cash. Heck you could get a "Party Size" 100 Vicodin for $65.00 dollars.

I recently was in the hospital for diverticulitius and the physician gave me vicodin. When I came home and had my follow up check they gave me a second precription that I didn't even ask for so I gave it back.

We need to find more holistic ways to treat chronic pain to hel p reduce this problem.

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by mary elizabeth View Post
    I bet that most of the homicides, burgleries, suicides and other violent crimes involve drug abuse.
    Maybe about 50% or less - most addicts are not bad people they are sick people

Been there done that

Peace

Hppy

Yes, I am very aware that addicts are sick people. I also know how you feel being addicted to alcohol/drugs. You can do very bad things no matter how nice you are!!

I merely meant to correct the fallacious statement that most of the homicides, burglaries, suicides and other violent crimes involve drug abuse.

To say that most crime can be attributed to addicts is like saying that most dog attacks are committed by Pit Bulls when in fact most bites are committed by Cocker Spaniels and most fatal bites are committed by German Shepherds.

While it is true that drug use though not necessarily addiction can be contributing factor in criminal behavior, most criminals can’t and don’t use the excuse of addiction to mitigate their antisocial behavior. For every street corner gutter level addict you see there are probably 10 high functioning addicts in your own circle of friends who you would never suspect have a problem.

They can include the police officer on the street, your child’s teacher, your mother brother sister or aunt who drinks too much. They are your doctor and your nurse. Statistics show that 15% of all medical professionals suffer from some form of chemical dependency.

During the 30 years I struggled with my disease I was gainfully employed and never committed a crime. The life of "quiet despair" finally got the better of me and I tried to kill myself which is the event that led to my current state of recovery. (BTW since when is suicide to be lumped into statistics on crime.) I have been sober since 2004 and thank my higher power each day for the gift I have been given and my duty to reach out to those who suffer with both compassion and understanding.

In examining the State and Federal prison inmates who reported being under the influence of drugs at the time of their offense, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (1997) reports the following:

24.5 percent (24.5%) of Federal and 29 percent (29%) of State prison inmates reported being under the influence of drugs when committing violent offenses.

10.8 percent (10.8%) of Federal and 36.6 percent (36.6%) of State inmates reported being under the influence of drugs while committing property offenses.

25 percent (25%) of Federal and 41.9 percent (41.9%) of inmates reported being under the influence of drugs when committing drug offenses.

24.4 percent (24.4%) of Federal and 22.4 percent (22.4%) of State prison inmates reported being under the influence of drugs when committing weapon offenses.

I don’t expect normal people to understand the addicted mind, but you don’t have to understand to show a little compassion. Making false assumptions only leads to making the problem worse, not better.

I would suggest that you take the time to put aside prejudice and educate yourself on addiction and its societal consequences and how it affects individuals and families. This will make you a better nurse. A good first step would be to read the first 165 pages of the “The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.” You can also attend an “Open Meeting of AA or NA in your community” and see the so-called criminals you speak of.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

Peace

Hppy

Thank you so much for your information! That was very helpful!
    Have a great day!