Thought you'd like to read this story form 'Down Under': http://hastings-leader.whereilive.co...y-on-the-road/

A NURSING graduate is showing she is just as useful on the road as in a hospital.

Emma Bywater, 22, started at Moonee Ponds ambulance branch last Wednesday, as part of an Australian-first training program that allows nursing graduates with ambulance qualifications to work in both fields when they finish university.

Ms Bywater completed a Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Emergency Health (Paramedic) last year.

She will finish as a qualified paramedic and registered nurse at the end rather than picking one or the other.

“I wanted more opportunities in the future, so by doing the double degree there will be more available for me,” she said.

“I can utilise my emergency care skills as a paramedic.

“And I can travel while nursing so there’s a lot for me to look forward to.

“I really enjoyed both disciplines while I was at university and I didn’t want to give up either at this early stage so I enrolled in the IPG (Inter Professional Graduate) program.”

sMs Bywater said she had always held a desire to help the community, volunteering for disability support services.

“I’ve always been very family orientated,” she said.

“It’s something that’s very important to me and my brother has multiple disabilities so I’ve done work for his day program and their organisation.

“I’ve recently done a bit of travelling and I’m hoping that my qualifications will one day take me overseas but that’s something that will come in the future.”

The IPG program was launched on February 15, with Emma one of 10 participants