Interesting! From the Dayton News: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...type=ynews_rss

Karen Balser’s holistic and natural lifestyle extends from her home to her medical career.

The director of nursing education at the Ohio Institute of Allied Health in Xenia developed the holistic studies curriculum for the 2380 Bellbrook Ave. facility.

It was known as the Ohio Academy of Holistic Health until last March, when it changed owners and name, said the nurse and alternative medical practitioner, who came to OIAH in December 2009 while the school “was in transition, awaiting the sale.”

Its courses now include practical nursing, state-tested nursing assistant, medical assisting, massage therapy and holistic health programs as well as short programs in billing and coding, EKG technician and phlebotomy.

OIAH’s Tranquility Spa offers the public Swedish, relaxation, sport, and medical massage, Reiki, reflexology, hypnotherapy, aromatherapy, ear candling, Shiatsu, hot stone and lava shell massage, body polish and foot scrub, infra-red sauna, Ayruvedic Shirodhara and other holistic services.

Balser, a major in the U.S. Army Nurse Corp with the 256th CSH in Columbus, has an associate degree in nursing from Kent State University and bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing from the University of Cincinnati.

She completed her doctorate in naturopathy from Clayton College of Natural Health in 2001.

“Naturopathy is an alternative health concept that uses only natural, drug-free ways in which to keep one’s self in a healthy state,” said the former professor of nursing at Hondros College.

“The institute has provided me with the very unique privilege of teaching and sharing my knowledge of both of my career paths. Our nursing program here is a holistic nursing program (which) promotes healing energy through creativity, caring, presence and homeodynamic restoration.”

Staff and students will provide demonstrations and information during the school’s 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. holiday bazaar on Dec. 11.

Balser and her husband, Denver LeForge, live on more than an acre of land in Waynesville where they “raise and grow everything” with the help of a large garden, a greenhouse, goats, chickens and rabbits.

“I am very passionate about living an independent, or a sustainable, lifestyle ... I preserve all my food. We have a very small grocery bill,” said Balser, who also makes “anything and everything” that she can, including soap, candles and cleaning products.

“We live a very holistic and natural lifestyle... We also like to share this knowledge with others so they can begin to live a more independent lifestyle.”

For more information, e-mail Balser at kbalser@oiah.org, call (937) 372-3454 or visit the OIAH webpage at www.oiah.org.