View Poll Results: When it comes to nursing i...

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE it! best decision i ever made!

2 100.00%
  • LIKE it. its not everything i expected but i'm happy.

0 0%
  • am SATISFIED with it...its good enough.

0 0%
  • DONT LIKE it but i'm not leaving...cause i cant or dont wanna.

0 0%
  • HATE it and i wanna leave! and i might...

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Nurse Responsibilities

Nurse Responsibilities

i've heard conflicting things about what nurses actually do. i've heard that nurses do what doctors are depicted doing on shows like scrubs (are shows like hawthoRNe/nurse Jackie semi accurate depictions of hospital life minus the made for tv drama?), i've heard nurses have to wipe/change/cleanse people and i've also heard that its the CNAs/LPNs that do that. I can't seem to get a clear answer. i dont expect to hear that nurses diagnose diseases but I know they have to have some idea of whats going on. Why are the answers that I get so all over the board? Is it because nurses perform multiple varying tasks (like I assume-what I really wanna know is what those tasks are)? What does assessing the patient mean by the way? Can anyone help? ps. i put another poll on here hoping that if it was private i might get more replies.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Yes, we nurses do wipe/clean/change patients, whether a CNA, LPN, or RN! That is basic care. To me, it gives me a clue as to skin condition: Is the person incontinent? Then they are at risk for skin breakdown (think diaper rash, but worse!). Of course, skin breakdown can have multiple causes.

This is all related: There might be something else going on, warrenting a 'nursing diagnosis', and this in turn can lead to the MD's diagnosis.

Remember, CNA's are the nurses' eyes and ears, as we can't be everywhere (doing those multiple tasks of calling lab/x-ray/pharmacy...). We, in turn, are the MD's eyes and ears.

Sorry a bit thrown together. I am quite tired, dear!

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Yes, we nurses do wipe/clean/change patients, whether a CNA, LPN, or RN! That is basic care. To me, it gives me a clue as to skin condition: Is the person incontinent? Then they are at risk for skin breakdown (think diaper rash, but worse!). Of course, skin breakdown can have multiple causes.

This is all related: There might be something else going on, warrenting a 'nursing diagnosis', and this in turn can lead to the MD's diagnosis.

Remember, CNA's are the nurses' eyes and ears, as we can't be everywhere (doing those multiple tasks of calling lab/x-ray/pharmacy...). We, in turn, are the MD's eyes and ears.

Sorry a bit thrown together. I am quite tired, dear!
    Do you ever have a problem cleaning people? cause i cant wrap my mind around doing it. and i am concerned that when i start practicing its going to be an issue and that maybe i should just change majors...i'm not that into other peoples body fluids but i didnt think that nurses were the ones who had to handle them.

Wink

Have you ever changed the diaper on a baby or given a baby a bath? Just think of doing the same thing on a bigger person. People need to have personal hygiene and somebody has to do it if they are unable to do it for themselves. No big deal for the most part. Best thing for you to do to see how you will like nursing is to shadow nurses on the job somewhere and become a CNA. You will see the worst of bodily fluids as a CNA. If you can handle that as a CNA, you will be able to handle it as a nurse.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    The only time I have/had problems is if the person in question has C Diff.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    The only time I have/had problems is if the person in question has C Diff.
    whats c diff?
    are there any nurses who dont have to change/clean/wipe people?