Thread: Rhode Island Hospital-Beware

Rhode Island Hospital-Beware

I have done lots of traveling to RIH, because the pay is very good, but not good enough to be treated like CRAP!! They are a union hospital and float travelers more than any other place I have been. They will put out a page for their staff to come and work extra on a fully staffed floor, if they have a traveler that they can float!! I have been floated 3 times in a 12 hour shift several times. It is dangerous!! Even if your contract states a specific unit, travelers are used as the FLOAT POOL!!!!! I worked for a year there the last time and was floated more than 50% of the time, sometimes 12 shifts in a row when I had a unit specific assignment. I came back because the money was what I needed, but hopefully will never have to go there again!!!!!

Good to know. I always ask if I'll be floated for split shifts and if they say yes, I say no. Meaning I don't take the travel contract.
    It is very difficult to finish up, go to the next floor and get organized. Stressful. A few good places I've worked, float all the staff in rotation.

I traveled there around the same time. I worked split shifts every time. floated for 4 hours, got the worst assignments, first admit, and sometimes it took a good 15 -20 minutes to get to the unit. I would call ahead of time, thus have more time to make it to a float assignment, and they would not tell me. Refused!! It was crazy, then the long walk back to my contracting unit to work, the nurses waiting.. Not fair to them, but all travelers float no matter. I liked it there, I learned so much, but if the traveler is to be floated, first, they should be able to tell you where so you can just go there directly. It would make things easier. We are the float pool at that hospital, thus why they are always looking and do pay top dollar. If one does not mind the float issue, then you make good money.