Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vent your frustrations!

Smile Vent your frustrations!

Vent your frustrations! Post here about the terribly designed equipment that annoys you the most. I’ll go first: IV poles with ‘sticky’ wheels that can’t seem to get over anything, especially cords!

Re: Vent your frustrations!

Would electronic BP machines that do NOT hold a charge count? That is one of my biggest peeves. :nurse-soapbox:

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by nursejoey View Post
    Vent your frustrations! Post here about the terribly designed equipment that annoys you the most. I’ll go first: IV poles with ‘sticky’ wheels that can’t seem to get over anything, especially cords!
    Agreed! It seems that three out of five wheels on any pole don't roll. Ever notice how the pole spins as you roll down the hall winding the tubing around itself? Like you have time or inclination to keep track of that while trying to monitor your patient. I work in critical care.

Now, how about all that battery powered equipment with memory charge like that transport monitor that shows full battery but dies in five minutes. Just enough power to get out of the door. And people wonder why I take the cord with me...

My personal favorite nowadays is the touch screen. Conceptually I like it but when it breaks or even gets dirty, it cripples the equipment.

Our Philips monitoring system has a touch screen on the bedside units which need somewhat regular replacing and because they're expensive, the unit has to malfunction before the part is ordered. That's not so bad because at least there is a wheel cursor to use. Now the Pyxis drug dispensing system does not have a wheel cursor... Imagine needing STAT meds and being unable to gain access because there is a speck of dust or paper fragment stuck down in the frame of the touch screen blocking the beam and you trying to troubleshoot. The same goes for the Pyxis supply dispensing system.

There has to be a better way.

R

Not able to hear a blood pressure.

Thumbs up Re: Vent your frustrations!

While deployed to Iraq assigned to detainee health care; we would have sandstorms that would result in the air compressors outside getting clogged up. Not a good thing when you have a vent patient and all of the sudden no O2 from the interior wall outlets. Or, sometimes the outside air compressors were shut off for maintenance without letting the medical staff know in advance. Or, having to use portable ventilators for extended periods of time [that is all we had], which would crap out... while hooked up to a patient. Or, ... okay I'll stop now before PTSD kicks in to overdrive, LOL.

BTW, good thread!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    While deployed to Iraq assigned to detainee health care; we would have sandstorms that would result in the air compressors outside getting clogged up. Not a good thing when you have a vent patient and all of the sudden no O2 from the interior wall outlets. Or, sometimes the outside air compressors were shut off for maintenance without letting the medical staff know in advance. Or, having to use portable ventilators for extended periods of time [that is all we had], which would crap out... while hooked up to a patient. Or, ... okay I'll stop now before PTSD kicks in to overdrive, LOL.

BTW, good thread!
    Wow! That had to suck.

Ricu, I have a long, long list a issues regards to inadequate equipment while deployed but won't go any further.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    Ricu, I have a long, long list a issues regards to inadequate equipment while deployed but won't go any further.
    I have no doubt and wouldn't want to dig into anything that you wouldn't want to open. Roger that, man.

R

Twisted cords! If my hair dryer can have a retractable cord- why can't my vitals machine? Why must I spend the first 5 minutes of my shift trying to untangle and untwist all the cords before checking on my patients?

Quote Originally Posted by sassysissy View Post
    Not able to hear a blood pressure.
    this frustrates me too=) I know it's suppose to be easy, but sometimes it just don't work for me=(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast