Thread: Are There Any LPN/LVN's Who Like Their Jobs?

Are There Any LPN/LVN's Who Like Their Jobs?

I'm getting ready to start LPN school here in Oklahoma next Tuesday. Some of the comments I've ready on this forum, I must admit, scare me a little. It seems several PN's don't like their jobs and for very good reasons. The LTC facilities have bad patient to nurse ratios, and numerous hospitals don't seem to be hiring the PN's anymore.

I know as far as Oklahoma is concerned the hospitals still hire LPN's. But I won't be staying here. I want to relocate where I'm from, and that's back to California.

I'm a midlife career changer. I have a BA, and MA in Sociology. I tried to get into RN school initially, but my gpa in the core course was not high enough. Even though my gpa was very high over all, the school did not consider that. So I did not get into the RN school of my choice. Other schools would not transfer my credits and I would have to retake the prerequisite classes.

So, I'm going to LPN instead. I was never able to find work in my field as a Sociologist here in Oklahoma. I know I can find LPN here. But I don't know what I'll be facing in California, and I feel scared to death now. I feel as though I may to taking this LPN program for nothing.

Do any of you have jobs that you like? Are they still good jobs for PN's out there. Is there hope for new grads?

Thank you.

Debbie

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Are There Any LPN/LVN's Who Like Their Jobs?

I liked mine very much.

Red face Re: Are There Any LPN/LVN's Who Like Their Jobs?

I am an LVN and love working in home health. Can speak to the fact that you will face a bad economic future in CA. Nurses are having a hard time getting work in CA, whether they are new grads or have years of experience. More and more hospitals are no longer hiring LVNs. You will find yourself limited to long term care and home health for the most part, until you get your RN license. Save up a boatload of money from working in OK to tide you over until you get a job in CA, or better yet, line up a job before you move. Good luck.

Dear Cali510:

Are there a fair amount of Home Health jobs for LVN's in Calif.?, and what is the pay? Can an LVN work in Home Health part-time? I love working with the seniors and have done this already for many years as a Home Health Aide. Thanks.

Debbie

Unhappy Re: Are There Any LPN/LVN's Who Like Their Jobs?

You can set up any kind of schedule that you, the agency, and your clients wish. If you only want to work one shift a week, up to you. Pay has been decreased recently by many employers. Used to range from $18-$22/hour, now more like $16-$18/hour, with some offering $14 or $15/hour even. Available work has decreased. Agencies will tell you that they just don't have the business any more. If you get a case, you need to try to keep everything ok, because it could be months, not weeks, before you get your next case. Met a new nurse who says she kept her waitressing job because it pays the rent. Many nurses sign on with more than one agency to keep their work options open. Sometimes, all of your agencies will tell you they have no work!

I've been an LPN for about 2 years in New York, and can say I love my job. I dislike the bureaucracy and staffing issues (which is normal anywhere it seems) and there are so many things wrong I see daily.
    Yet, I get to care for people. No matter what, I get to care for people. And they pay me for it! I get to love and entertain and spread humor and joy and provide comfort... For me, anyways, at those moments, I LOVE being a nurse.
    (geriatrics, county nursing home)

I love my job working as an lpn in the field of dialysis. As far as i know, they need lpn's in that field.