Thread: RN SCRUB training

RN SCRUB training

I have been circulating in the OR for 4 years. I went through the AORN Periop 101 program, and am able to scrub simple cases (most plastics, minor general surgery, minor vascular) but want to be proficient in all. I don't get the opportunity at my current job to scrub much since I am always working with a tech. Now that I am functioning independently, they will not put me back in training and double staff a room while I learn. Anyone know of hospitals willing to train RNs to scrub? Again, I already have grasped the basic concepts (setup, gowning, gloving, counting, etc.).

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: RN SCRUB training

Welcome to the site, peps007! I moved your post to the OR Forum. MarieLPN, our resident OR nurse, could probably help you on many of your questions when she drops by.

Hope to see you around!

'Cat'

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Welcome to the site, peps007! I moved your post to the OR Forum. MarieLPN, our resident OR nurse, could probably help you on many of your questions when she drops by.

Hope to see you around!

'Cat'
    Let me say that I was a Certified Surgical Tech for three years, as well as have worked in the OR as an RN for 4 years. So, even though my specialty has been the ICU since 2006 I do know a thing or two about the OR.

peps007, I started in the healthcare field as a CST [w/Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology]. Upon completion of nuring school left the OR to work as an RN on 64-bed Telemetry Unit, next worked in 10-bed ICU. Decided I missed the OR I went back to working as an RN in the OR. I found the transition to Circulator very easy based on my previous CST experience. I was offered a sign-on bonus to go back to the OR where I was a CST. They let me first scrub a lot when they were short of scrub techs. However, in the OR the RN's primary duty is to Circulate. In the past I've wished I'd pursued RNFA credentials.

Most ORs will not train RNs to be first scrubs, i.e. set-up the backtable & mayo, and first pass. Rather, most ORs will focus training on the Circulator role, as well as gown & glove and safely function as a second scrub to assist via holding retractors. If the OR staff is short of techs & well staffed for RNs on a particular day then ask if you can be assigned to a room with an experienced scrub tech. A case like exploratory lap that is involved but not emergent would be good for you to first pass.

If, I could rewind the years I'd probably gone to PA school. It would really be cool to be a PA for an Orthopod.

BTW, where is MarieLPN, anyway?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Thank you for your response. While I am able to second scrub on slower days, I want consistent training. Occasionally we get travellers around my age and experience, that have been trained to scrub everything so there are hospitals out there. I know it would make me a better circulator, plus its so much more stimulating to be able to reverse roles often.

Let me know if there are any hospitals that ensure their RNs are competent in both roles. My next option (however drastic this may seem) is to either invest in Surgical Tech school, or move to England or Canada where they don't employ techs in the OR. Obviously I continue to be desperate for further guidance.

Thanks again

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Marie has been dealing with school and work. From what I understand, she deals with computers so much at work, she takes a break at times.

peps007, are you a member of AORN? They might be a good resource. Also, have you researched RNFA? I believe hospitals in the NE have RNFAs as regular OR staff. Rather than pursue a scrub tech program research possible RNFA programs.

Yes, I am a member of AORN. Their website is how I found the periop program I went through. RNFA....I've always been under the impression you need extensive scrub experience to qualify, but I really need to research it better. I know my hospital does not hire RNFA, but I'm sure others do. I will look into that further, thanks

I've been an RN for 25 years. I began working in the OR as a Nurse Extern before graduating nursing school and have spent at least half of my career in the OR. I worked at a huge hospital with a 58 operating room surgery dept straight out of school. Learning to scrub everything from hearts to eyes was mandatory for RN's then. But to be honest I've not scrubbed a case since 1994. I have scrubbed in and set up a table when I did travel contracts at smaller hospitals and the CST was late arriving. It just isn't done that often anymore. Surgical Technologist make about half what we do an hour and can do the same job scrubbing (most of the time better because their training is more specific than ours in that area of the OR). Regs require 1 RN in the room. Circulator duties are such that require an RN license, so that is where we are utilized now. So really it is about money. The bottom line always wins out unfortunately.