Thread: PBDS Help

PBDS Help

My PBDS test
    Hello, I just completed a pbds exam. I have 6 years of nursing experience, 3 in a critical setting. I am board certified in my PACU specialty. When I found I was going to take the PBDS exam, I of course went online for more information. I found a dowloadable study exam on this site which did help some, but the majority of the online information pertained to how awful the exam was, how well people did, etc. which did not help much besides making my apprehensions worse. For those with questions about the content, I am going to list what my test was over, because I wish someone had done this for me. I believe I did not do well, mostly because I was ill-prepared about the test format and content. Here goes with what I can remember...

The first 30 mins was over 15 questions which were the 'must, should, could' questions. They were very vague and there really is no way to study for them. The musts are done within 15 mins, the shoulds in 1 hr, and the coulds within your shift. If you list a must you must provide your intervention and rationale. After this section was completed, you could take a break which was not timed.

Next section was 5 videos and you had 50 mins to complete the section. The videos were about 1-2 mins and the timer did NOT stop while viewing them, could only watch once. A paper was provided with very scant information on the patients. They said not to take notes, but they were almost needed to remember the details of the videos. These were the diagnoses for the first 5 videos.
    1. Blood transfusion rxn.
    2. ARF.
    3. MI.
    4. ICP
    5. Peritonitis

Then a break. I let the time get away from me and had only about 5 mins each for the last 3. Was trying very very hard not to cry in the hallway, knew I had to pull it together!

Third section was another 5 videos.
    1. Dig toxicity.
    2. PE.
    3. DI (vs DKA)
    4. Pneumothorax.
    5. Postop laryngospasm

That was my test. I wish someone had told me to be very specific. I had no idea something like DI would be on the test! I was taking the 'pacu' test but the only postop patient on the videos was the last one. It seemed very rushed, you watched the video and really had no time to dx before you went into your interventions.
    Good luck to yall who are taking the test! If I could offer any advice it would be to take the diagnoses that people have listed on their study guides and write out what you would do and study that. During the exam, list all the interventions first, because the rationales will flow without a problem. You have about 10 mins for each diagnoses but about 2 mins of that is spent on the video, and those 8 minutes go by faster than youd think

Member Extraordinaire

Re: PBDS Help

There IS a very good study guide available for download on this site, if you type PBDS in the search bar. This study guide is very extensive, and discusses ONLY the content of the exam, not "how awful the exam is."
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: PBDS Help

Thanks for your input! This would be a big help for everyone out there.

'Cat'

FYI--these answers are dependent on which area test you take--Med-Surg/ICU/ER etc

I do know that several people from this site purchased a book I wrote last year on travel nursing. I included a PBDS study guide that paints a pretty good picture of what you will encounter (hopefully cougarnurse could attest to this as I did send the admins of the this site a copy of the book awhile back). However, I didn't go into specific scenarios that were on my test for fear of what Performance Management Services (people who develpoed this system) might say about relating their exact information (that I'm sure is covered under copyright).

But, I did include several mock scenarios and even asked readers to time themselves to get used to the intense nature of the exam. I also remember that in the exams that I took, the vital signs were printed on the answer sheets, so you did not need to remember this information.

All in all, they really should be situations you could encounter on any given day in your unit (which is why they have separate tests for different specialties). Most travel companies will also send you a study guide if you need to take this test at a facility in which you will be working.

I am going off to Houston this week and I am required to take this test. I am very nervous about it as I do not feel comfortable stating I would do anything with doctor orders.

I will be taking whatever test they give me for the ER ...

The study guide that was sent to me was generic and the same power point I have gotten several times which tells you nothing really. I do fear the unknown and honestly think that our credentials certifications and references should be enough.

Well I took my PBDS test today and it was the worst thing I have ever done. Not only was the test insane, the test site, computer issues and proctor was less than to be desired.

I will write more about my test later once my anger and my BP lowers and I should know Friday if I was successful

I did ER test

First part Triage
    Emergent - must be seen/done within now to 15 minutes
    Urgent - must be seen/done within 30 mins to 1 hour
    Non Urgent - can be seen as soon as available

Anything marked urgent needed treatments and rationales. There were 16 and you had 30 minutes. I did not finish this section as I was in the middle of a lengthy acute mi scenario after already doing 5 other Emergent situations.

Second section - this was the only part of the exam that the study guide helped for:
    5 scenarios - 50 minutes

Third section - started out decent and then went downhill
    7 yes SEVEN scenarios - 80 minutes and scenario number 6 was something NON ER ICU PT and number 7 was a DELIVERY and I have never worked on an OB unit

I know I did okay with what I should do used lots of keywords even to the point of consults I felt would be needed. The rationales were the thing I had a problem with explaining and most of them seemed redundant from each scenario. This is what will fail me if anything.

Can you send me the PBDS study guide

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Unfortunately, Amanda is no longer traveling, or sending out study guides. Sorry!

If anyone else has info., please post it......

http://blog.ultimatenurse.com/free-p...udy-guide/190/