48 12.50%
  • they are angels sent from heaven above

44 11.46%
  • I AM a Strike Nurse

56 14.58%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Strike Nursing

Thumbs up Re: Opinion on Strike Nursing

Union's mean power to the workers,click on the link for " food for thought ".... http://www.times-standard.com/local/ci_4086010

Re: Opinion on Strike Nursing

If everyone is SO Miserable, then why not change careers? And what is with all the Admin bashing?- would you tolerate a bunch of admins sitting around a forum bashing nurses? Some of the very arguments here lend to the old saying "...until you walk a mile in another man's shoes...." As far as unions, I don't need to pay anyone to speak for me.

Smile Re: Opinion on Strike Nursing

Management should encourged employees to vote... http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...-6409743c.html

Going to throw my two cents in here...

as a former SCAB, I had to make up my mind ethically about crossing the picket line in another state and "making the big bucks" so to speak. I came from a non-union state and worked several strikes in my nursing career. What really bothered me about the situations was one thing...how can anyone in the nursing field, that went into nursing to take care of patients, just up and walk out like that???? We all went into nursing with eyes wide open. We knew the hours were crappy, the pay and benefits were just ok, and we ALL knew what it was going to be like dealing with the full patient loads and difficult physicians...no one out there can tell me they didnt know before they started working...

I came from a state that paid their nurses decently, benefits were standard, and the work load was the same as anywhere else...my first strike was california. I crossed the picket lines. What I dont understand is how anyone that is suppose to be caring, nurturing can stand there and throw rocks at people? A few years back there was a nurse in NJ that was killed when a brick was thrown at her...what is up with that???? The unions need to get down on their knees and thank God that there are companys that supply replacement nurses for several reasons...because of them, they have a job to come back to...otherwise, the hospital would shut its doors. They dont care, they have insurance that will support them months, even years if a strike were to occur. It doesnt come out of their pockets people, dont you get that???? For those that say "well if they are paying all that money for the strikers, why cant they hire more nurses and increase the salary?" news flash, they arent paying, the insurance company that writes their policy covers the cost of a striking nurse. When I was in Minnesota, the nurses that went on strike hid equipment, policy manuals, stethescopes etc....I mean honestly, would any of you want to be cared for by someone that would be malicious enough to compromise a patient like that on purpose???

just think about it....it all comes down to the $$$ issues..thats the bottom line, and from me seeing some of the striking nurses in california riding around with the BMW's and Mercedes, I can see why they need to strike to get more money...

Smile Re: Opinion on Strike Nursing

GEE WEZZ MY FRIEND, CAN YOU SUPPLY A NEWS LINK TO THE CLAIM OF A BRICK THROWER....... But here is a link to a scab corporation that sell herself to the highest bidder........ http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...609080459/1001

thanks for your response mared..

I will contact my friend and find out where exactly in NJ the brick throwing took place. Interestingly enough, my friend (that witnessed the hauling brick) said that all the nurses in the picket line just stood there and did nothing. Its said to say the least....When I was in california, we had several nurses in our organization that received threats at their hotel....we were encouraged not to wear our scrubs out because of the likelihood of getting hurt...seems all backwards to me coming from a profession that is considered professional and takes care of people...

and yep, the pay is wonderful...i worked for 3 weeks in california and made around 12k and never had to pay for a hotel....in retrospect, I did what I had to do to make money for my family, just like all of us do that have to work...a service was provided and people were taken care of...

Speaking of the financial side, my brother is a hospital administrator. He says that in most cases the hospital is just holding out for as long as they have strike insurance hoping that the nurses can't hold out that long and will accept less. Usually as soon as the insurance runs out, they settle. Which is why many times we feel like the other side is not negotiating in good faith. The insurance is paying for the strike personnel, so the hospital doesn't care how much it costs. It's a screwed up system.

the irony of it all is when that when nurse strike, the hospital will bring in nurses from staffing agencies and they pay the agency 25% to 75% more money per nurse than they would pay a regular full time nurse

Scab nurses should never be threatened nor abused. Remember a Scab is formed and helps heal wounds. So right on scab nurses, we love you.
    Someone said strikes are never for money. Strikes are always for money, bottom line. Whether it is for better pay, better benefits, or even better staffing. That is always money. Besides most strikes are settled by offering better benefits and pay to the nurses, buying them and the unions off. It is always about money. Money equals power. Power equals more money. Everything else is just window dressing.

Several of my friends' fathers were union, and there'd been strikes during the 70's and 80's; they never recouped the money they'd been holding out for. I feel the only people who'd gotten the money is the Union themselves. Just MHO.

By the way, what the heck does the Teamsters know about nursing, anyhow? 'Had' to belong to them in the past, and they did NOTHING for us.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast