48 12.50%
  • they are angels sent from heaven above

44 11.46%
  • I AM a Strike Nurse

56 14.58%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Strike Nursing

Re: Opinion on Strike Nursing

All unions do is take your money. The hospital I just started working at has a union. SEIU, they were picked by the hospital corp, HCA, when the nurses were organizing. Hospital admin fixed it so if the nurses voted to unionize they could only get SEIU, the crap union. Now we all have to pay 1.6% of our hard earned money to SEIU, and nothing has changed. I met the union rep, and she is a nut case. You bet they want to keep her in the position. The nurses would do better with out the unions.

There is on hospital in Little Rock that has unionized. They take the dues and have very little power. Many nurses have left that hospital.

Dixiecup, sounds like you're writing unions off based on a single experience. Not a very objective opinion.

My wife works in a Union Shop in NJ. On the whole she's making more and has better benefits, job security than she's ever had working in a non-union facility.

Does she still have issues on the job, of course but now she's got an avenue to address them. Not a lot of nurses can do that without worrying about having a job afterwards.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

I am wondering if the person writing about a CEO at a small community hospital making more than the President is talking about the hospital where I work. Sounds awfully familiar! It never ceases to amaze me how many errors administrators make and keep their jobs; ie purchasing new computer systems which actually increase nurses' workloads, not improve them, buying a portable bed scale that is so large it doesn't fit through the doors of patients' rooms, renovating the OR only to discover after the fact that the new doors cannot open wide enough to let a patient in a bed get through them. Amazing! I believe the ONLY way nurses will EVER achieve some work place protections will be through unionization. I see no alternative and I used to be a staunch opponent of unions. Nurses are treated like dirt and hospital administrations are accountable to no one; not even the public. They fight legislatively mandated nurse/patient ratios tooth and nail even though daycare centers operate under such mandates apparently without trouble. The whole thing is a mess. I admit I have been reading the Massachusetts Nurses Association website lately and they have a great deal of information about this issue. It is a great site. I am much too old to act on any of this, though. I am taking the path of least resistance and reducing my hours so lighten the stress of inpatient acute care nursing. I do wish, though, that some true nursing leaders would come along soon, and I am not talking about some propagandized little new BSN grad who wants to change the entire face of nursing instead of what is really needed ie change in the working conditions of all nurses and let the rest of that wait for another day.

It would definitely appear that administrators are held to a very different standard than the typical staff nurse.

Granted I've never done their job, but I'd sure like to see them try and do ours. It'll never happen but it would be a very different world if most administrators started out as nursing staff.

God forbid they hire someone into those positions that can actually relate to what is going on at the bedside. Seems like the majority are experts in bean counting and little else. If unionizing is what it takes, I'm all for it.

Andrew Lopez, RN

I disagree with unions. I am here for the patient! If I don't like where I work I can change jobs! Remember there is s nursing shortage!

Ok, why do you disagree with them?

Sure you could change jobs, but:

1. Why would you change jobs in the first place.

2. What makes you think things will be any different at a different facility?

Andrew Lopez, RN

Member Extraordinaire

There is also the big picture of maybe I can change jobs if I don't like it where I'm at but maybe the majority of nurses at that facility can't for a variety of reason, parents, spouses, children, houses, school etc. Not every area has the same shortage as other areas...only 2% empty jobs at my hospital people stay and never leave. I have over 13 years at the same hospital and on my unit I'm 1/2 down the line for senority with no signs of anybody going anyplace else.

I am a LPN and I could change jobs until the cows come home and it would be the same. I could be a RN and a BSN with higher pay and things would be the same.

At my level of nursing, I don't expect to make a lot of money. Money has never been an issue with me. My issue is being kicked around and generally made to feel like crap for what I do.

Nurses will never do it -- no united front -- but a national strike of all nurses might improve things.

How sad that we all withstand and promote the divisions.

Nothing will change until there is One Nurse, One Voice.

Faizi

Unhappy Re: Opinion on Strike Nursing

Just my opinion, but I live in the conservative southeast and I will probably never see nursing unionized in this area. If the US as a whole would get behind their nurses and we could all reap the benefits of working for unions, then those of us who are working for scraps and taking more and more patients each day would stay where we are and not have to look at working strikes to support our families (Sorry, huge run-on sentence). I personally don't want to have to leave my kids to go to CA or WA, etc. and be thought of as a traitor. But, as I see it, these days this profession has become every man for himself. Most of the hospitals in this area are run by corporate monsters that value warm bodies over experience and knowledge, and those of us who remember teamwork and ownership are being forced out in mass. I would love to start over again in a new profession, but am frustrated by a country who doesn't realize that some of us have become experts at what we do and are the best choice to care for their loved ones or themselves. I will probably go work some strikes with the knowledge that it is probably not helping my fellow RN's much in the state I'm working in, but I have to survive and feed my children and I can't ever see things changing where I am. We need to change RN opinion globally to ever overcome this idea that we do not work in a valuable profession and therefore are expendible. P.S. If I don't go work the strikes, they'll just immigrate a bunch of foreign (no disrespect intended) nurses to work it for me. So, once again, the money will be spent somewhere.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast