Thread: Medic to RN bridge

Medic to RN bridge

Hi everyone.
    At 54 yrs young, I am two semesters away from transitioning from an Ambulance Paramedic to the magical RN. Praying for NCLEX pass already! LOL. I really don't think I am going to like it because of what I do now for a living. It is SOOOOOO different. I do love the patients though.. so I am sticking it out. Always open for suggestions. Janet

Smile Re: Medic to RN bridge

janetskaggs55,

I'm very impressed with your career move from Paramedic to RN. As you know, a rivalry seems to exist between Paramedics & RNs. I say this with first hand knowledge of Paramedics as a QA officer with the Dept of Combat Medic TRNG [DCMT], where we train Soldiers to become Medics. Almost half our instructors are civilians, which are required to be Paramedics. Now, I have all the respect in the world for Paramedics. My specialty is critical care [ICU]. However, while assigned to DCMT I've certified in PHTLS [Provider & Instructor], and AMLS. For the scope of practice Paramedics have on the street they are immensely important.

I've you considered an RN position with an Air Evac/Care flight company? Or, with your trauma experience seems like the ER would be a good fit for you, maybe?

Anyway, welcome to the site & keep us posted.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: Medic to RN bridge

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. Yes, I am very excited about the thought of Air Evac. The ER
    is not out of the question. Just appears to be so much family practice going on there now. Not many true emergencies out there. People abuse the system as you well know. LOL
    The Bridge program is so demanding in the area of lab values (which I have never had to know) and effects (good and bad) of every drug we talk about. Whew.. Little overwhelming. Especially urine specific gravity and serum osmalarity. They seem to be very important and I just don't get them.
    Have a great day,
    Janet

Wink Re: Medic to RN bridge

:60: Welcome to the site and good luck with your transition.