Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday, JAN 2/2010

Re: Saturday, JAN 2/2010

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Good morning, Soldiernurse. Yeah, I slightly resemble the picture right now.

Honestly, I haven't seen a movie in ages. There are several reasons why: The prices are obscene (!), none have really appealed to my 'I wanna see that' senses, my work schedule, my husbands work schedule..... You get the general idea. We have bought a DVD or two at SunCoast lately, though.

Have you heard about all the hoopla behind Avatar? The poop is that there are 'hidden agendas' behind it. Heck, the same could be said about the Lord of the Rings books. (Tolkien's reference to the East was about Germany.....)

How's everything going down your way? I am still feeling pretty run down here, but will be dragging self off to work later on.

Hope things go much better for everyone this year.

OK here it goes, CAT you asked for it.
    For the record J.R.R.Tolkien completely and utterly dispised alligorie in all it's manifestations he had "in his own words" no inner meaning when he was wrighting his stories about middle earth. The fact that the east was the direction directly opposite from the west where the undying-lands existed was the reason for him to refer to the east (kind of a YING/YANG thing) he started in the process of wrighting the Lord Of The Rings before the outbreak of WWII (He actualy started the earliest wrightings in the trenches durring WW-I. And yes, I know it was germany we were fighting in that war too. The fact that we are effected by all our life experiences IS evedent however, but Tolkien clearly states in his wrightings that he had NO inner meaning behind any of his stories. If you want a storie to pick on STAR WARS is the one that was openly professed as an alligorie of the THIRD REICH.
    :nurse-soapbox:
    No harm intended, I am a devout Tolkienight and know the stories and all that is connected to them inside and out. I had to defend this one litterary masterpiece that I addore.
    It also happens to be the one book that has become the most read book (second only to the Bible) of all time.

O.K. I'm done now.:o
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Orion, you have another Tolkien fiend here. What he said vs the writings are 2 different things, ain't it? I think the stuff still influenced him, regardless.

BTW, he started the SIlmarillion BEFORE anything else, and never finished it. Go figure. CS Lewis was a good friend, and wrote the "Lion, With, and Wardrobe' stories.....

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Orion, you have another Tolkien fiend here. What he said vs the writings are 2 different things, ain't it? I think the stuff still influenced him, regardless.

BTW, he started the SIlmarillion BEFORE anything else, and never finished it. Go figure. CS Lewis was a good friend, and wrote the "Lion, With, and Wardrobe' stories.....
    I do agree that he was influinced by his life experiences, to that even he stated "I have no doubt that MY life has influinced my wrighting......", but for all intents he states that he had none of these eppisodes in mind as far as a thiem for his wrightings, his only wish is that if his wrightings were to be eligable for print that people would read it as it was written and not try to see/find any hidden messages in the text. "The Fall of GONDALIN" was the first "Fairy Story" that he wrote.
    As far as the wrightings of the Inklings IE: Lewis, Tolkien, and Charles Lewis I have hungered to find other authors who wright in the sort of styles that they incorperated, instead of the all to common SHOCK AND AWE style that has become all to common in this moddern age. Dan Brown is; I think, a good start in the propper direction, although he too is it seems going in an all to comercial direction. Time will tell though weather he is wrighting to wright or wrighting to sell books.

Enough for now "before I show that I am truely crazy and should be locked away in a little room with padded walls and a well stocked bookshelf without my glasses and my hands tied behind my back.":deadhorse:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12