Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mens hair at work

Our job is to be kind, understanding and compassionate. If we can't show that to those we know, how can we expect to show compassion to those we don't know ?

Agreed, although health care workers can be pretty callous when it comes to each other. I suppose cops can be the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffey Student View Post
    Our job is to be kind, understanding and compassionate. If we can't show that to those we know, how can we expect to show compassion to those we don't know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Agreed, although health care workers can be pretty callous when it comes to each other. I suppose cops can be the same way.
    Sadly, in some cases, I think it can actually be worse. Law enforcement can be very political, and those that make it high up the management ladder usually do so by sacrificing values and principles for something they perceive as more pragmatic. I won't go into details but suffice it to say, whatever their superiors say, is the last word; even if it's at the expense of the constitution. That's why I got out when I did.

It's time to get out when your career costs you more than you get paid. Health care has it's own politics and compromised administrators but change is certainly good. What's kept me in it for so many years is that there are so many different capacities to work in.

The game plan is to go to the VA. Being a patient there myself, I've had an opportunity to talk to the staff and they are encouraging me to go to VA after graduation. Because I'm a veteran, I would be considered over others that aren't veterans. One of the things the staff loves about working at the VA is, when a person is treated, any tests that a doctor orders isn't questioned by an insurance company, because no insurance companies are involved. Those that have worked in private facilities cite that as the number one thing they love about working for VA. Their patients get immediate treatment because it isn't delayed by an insurance company making a decision to "allow" it.

Because I'm a veteran, I have an insight that non veterans don't have. It's always an interesting time when staff, who know I'm becoming an RN, see me interact with other veterans. In some cases, there may be a little bit of envy there, but that's just an observation.

You raise some good examples of frustration points for health care workers today in the non-VA setting. It seems that you have good insight into where your strengths and motivations are for when you start working in nursing, too. Veterans deserve the best of what we have to offer which includes being treated by those who have the greatest capacity to understand them and I think there is tremendous potential for healing if the care provider and recipient are both veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaffey Student View Post
    The game plan is to go to the VA. Being a patient there myself, I've had an opportunity to talk to the staff and they are encouraging me to go to VA after graduation. Because I'm a veteran, I would be considered over others that aren't veterans. One of the things the staff loves about working at the VA is, when a person is treated, any tests that a doctor orders isn't questioned by an insurance company, because no insurance companies are involved. Those that have worked in private facilities cite that as the number one thing they love about working for VA. Their patients get immediate treatment because it isn't delayed by an insurance company making a decision to "allow" it.

Because I'm a veteran, I have an insight that non veterans don't have. It's always an interesting time when staff, who know I'm becoming an RN, see me interact with other veterans. In some cases, there may be a little bit of envy there, but that's just an observation.

I've given this careful thought. It took me 11 years to act on this. That was primarily due to the fact that my kids hadn't grown up and so I could commit 100% of my time to learning. Now that it's just my wife and I, I can focus my attention and do this. I don't like to do anything half way.

Good plan. I completed both my ASN and BSN while our kids were still home and now that they're all essentially on their own, I'm working on a masters. I'm still working full time but can focus my non work time on classes.

I think there's no big deal with it as long as you keep your hair neatly fixed and as long as it does'nt affect your job as a nurse.. hehe

hehe what?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123