Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mens hair at work

Sounds like an interesting discussion! I can still remember during my nursing days in school, guys were not allowed to have long hair! However, it f one is already working in the hospital, I should they should be given more independence about their hairstyle..as long as it’s neat and clean and does not affect one’s job, then others should let it be

I agree. Long hair IS hard to safely manage in the health care work place. Keep it braided and down the middle of your back or keep it up. Regardless, keep it contained.

I agree amygarside , they should look more into one’s skills and capabilities as a nurse and not on the appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by Teeituptom View Post
    Now I have been getting some flack about the length of my hair at work. Its shoulder length and a bit more. While at work I keep my hair neatly in a pony tail. Doesn't affect my work at all. And I keep it very clean. Shampooed daily. Now of course I do work in a right wing extremist state, thats almost totally red. Im surrounded and heavily outnumbered by Republicans.
    I'm sorry, I'm new here, so to some this may be a bit too aggressive for a newbie, but what does politics have to do with it ? I'm conservative, a republican, a gun owner, a military veteran, oh and I'm a white male, but I see no problem with how you wear your hair. Could it possibly be that there may be some other underlying reason, like that chip on your shoulder that you appear to have for conservatives ?

BTW, I live in Southern California, but have lotsa friends that live in "red" states. So, I'm just sayin'.

Just a thought, I imagine that there is a reason why women wear their hair in a bun, and that's to keep it up and out of the way. Having said that, I would imagine that a man with his hair in a bun would not only look ridiculous, it would probably look very unprofessional, which is why in a profession like nursing, it would probably be better for a man to keep his hair short.

I am currently in the ADN program at Chaffey College in Southern California. ALL the men in the program are required to keep their hair short, and the women MUST wear their hair in a bun while in clinicals. If a person, male or female wore a ponytail, they would not be allowed to work until the issue was resolved.

I'm just a first year student, but it has already been instilled in me that transmission of microorganisms from nurse to patient or patient to nurse is a real problem. Since I don't know how long Tom's ponytail is, I won't comment further, but I'm thinking that his problem is more an issue with controlling infection than it is conservative bias.

But hey, who am I. I haven't even passed the N-CLEX yet.

Hi Chaffey,

You will definitely see a lot of posting about "expressing individuality" in the health care setting with hair length and style being high on the list. Medical professionals especially old school are wound quite tightly on the subject and fiercely defend the standards and while there is a lot of sound reasoning to support some standards, ie; infection control, many of the rest of the battle ground fronts are around what has been defined as professional appearance and just plain good grooming. If you want to get an eyeful, see the discussions on tattoos and uniforms.

Welcome and, good luck.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Chaffey Student View Post
    Just a thought, I imagine that there is a reason why women wear their hair in a bun, and that's to keep it up and out of the way. Having said that, I would imagine that a man with his hair in a bun would not only look ridiculous, it would probably look very unprofessional, which is why in a profession like nursing, it would probably be better for a man to keep his hair short.

I am currently in the ADN program at Chaffey College in Southern California. ALL the men in the program are required to keep their hair short, and the women MUST wear their hair in a bun while in clinicals. If a person, male or female wore a ponytail, they would not be allowed to work until the issue was resolved.

I'm just a first year student, but it has already been instilled in me that transmission of microorganisms from nurse to patient or patient to nurse is a real problem. Since I don't know how long Tom's ponytail is, I won't comment further, but I'm thinking that his problem is more an issue with controlling infection than it is conservative bias.

But hey, who am I. I haven't even passed the N-CLEX yet.

I kind of got into trouble from the "old school" nurses who are in charge of the ADN program. It would seem that making people laugh in the lab setting is an issue, and I was told at one point that I was being flippant, and not serious about nursing. Since the instructor is at least 10 years my junior, I told her in a diplomatic manner that she's full of crap. But that's a story for another time.

Maybe it's just me, but when I combine uniform with professional, I equate it with regimentation. In other words, there is nothing wrong with being an individual, and expressing your individuality, but I would think that stops when it conflicts with health and safety concerns. So far, I've been told that the reason for specific rules is to maintain a uniformity and strict order for the safety of the patients and the nurses that care for them. Part of that regimentation is how a person wears their hair, because it can be a source for infection. That's why none of the men I work with have long hair, and why women are required to keep their hair in a bun. So in that case, as they say, that kind of individuality is contraindicated.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome Ricu, I really am glad I found this forum.

You're welcome, and glad you found it too. Coming from the police force, you will have no trouble with personal discipline and uniform but you will be entertained by what goes on around you in the clinical setting as many of the younger adults meet strict expectations for (obviously) the first time.

I'm actually trying to help them minimize the stress with that. Case in point, one classmate was having trouble with getting an accurate BP. I told her that My arm was hers to use until she got it right. She eventually got it, my arm was grateful for that. Considering my issues, I understand how the others feel. Since I've been taking BPs and pulse rates off and on for 35 years, the least I could is offer my experience to her.

I like to joke and make people laugh. It's healthy, and it helps reduce stress. But I do understand that what we do and how we respond can literally be a matter of life and death. To the outsider, some of my jokes can seem insensitive or crass, but I verbalize what others only think about. Think Joseph Wambaugh and his book, "The New Centurions". While we care about people, there are some things that we see that are actually funny, and we hide that way down inside until we have an opportunity to vent that in a more appropriate environment and among our peers who see the obvious humor in what we verbalize.

Once I get to clinicals, I have a feeling that I will be laughing my ass off inside while maintaining an appearance of stoicism. On the other hand, I'm sure I will see things that will touch my heart, and maybe even piss me off. But just as I did as a cop, I will maintain an even strain until I can kick back in a more appropriate environment and let it go. That's just the nature of the beast.

You're kind and understanding. I'm sure that your classmates appreciate your presence especially if you can break the tension with a well placed laugh. Your ability to see humor in odd situations puts you way ahead of the game in the health care setting. Your observations on the emotional component to your job and how to manage it is one of the reasons that I feel your background in police work is really helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast