Thought you all would be interested in this: Top 5 Questions Asked by RNs Considering a Bachelor's in Nursing - Yahoo! Finance

In today's difficult economy, many job seekers -- and those who are gainfully employed -- are returning to school to increase their chances of landing a job or a promotion. Registered nurses (RNs) are returning to the classroom in record numbers to earn their Bachelor's in Nursing (BSN).

Many RNs are unfamiliar with online courses or the opportunities available to them with a BSN. Following are their most common questions:

1. Will getting a BSN make a difference in my career?

Nurses with BSN degrees can move from the level of technical to professional nursing practice. A job candidate with a BSN degree will stand out among others. In addition, Magnet status hospitals, which are recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for excellence in their nursing programs and patient care, prefer BSN prepared nurses.

2. What additional skills will I acquire with my BSN?

The U.S. Department of Labor predicts that by 2012, more new jobs will be created for RNs than for any other occupation. A BSN degree opens doors to high-demand fields such as critical care, cardiology, dermatology, ob/gyn and oncology. Some employers, especially Magnet facilities, may require a BSN to take on management roles or bedside RN duties.

3. How does the online classroom work?

JUs state-of-the-art online classroom offers extended interaction with faculty and classmates through virtual office hours, faculty-monitored chat rooms, message boards and email. "I have been so impressed with the quality of the online nursing classes at JU and the excellence of the faculty," said Martha Porinchak, a JU student. "The BSN course work is challenging and well-organized and the two nursing classes I've taken have already benefited me in my career. I feel more confident and competent in my professional knowledge and I'm really proud of myself for having the courage to go back to nursing school."

4. Should I consider a career in teaching?

In addition to the nursing shortage, there is a shortage of nursing teachers. According to an American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) survey, nursing schools turned away 32,617 qualified applicants in 2004-2005 due in part to lack of faculty. Holding a BSN in conjunction with a master's and Ph.D. degree is the gateway to a rewarding teaching career.

5. Does a nurse with a BSN earn more than an RN?
Many employers reward nurses with BSNs. According to a 2007 earning survey in RN magazine, salary increases can range from 50 cents/hour to $3.20/hour. A BSN can also lead to jobs with a specialty pay differential.