Thread: back to school to become a nurse, HELP!

back to school to become a nurse, HELP!

Okay, you guys are making me really nervous. Reading your posts, it sounds like everyone hates their job. I graduated from college with an english degree. Now I work at a Newspaper and I am miserable. I went into college as pre-nursing but I was completely spooked out of it. Now after basically barely getting by in college (I didn't care and didn't try) because I did not know what I wanted to do. Now I feel like okay, I am at a point in my life where I am ready to get serious about school. And it also doesn't hurt that I am miserable at my job. Now, I am not wanting to go into the field for the money, (although it doesn't hurt) but I am strictly going into because I really care. I have had some of my own medical problems and know that a nurse can truly make or break a situation. I have always known that I was put on this earth to help people, and I feel like this is an area that I could really do well in. Unfortunately, and here is were I need some help. I am not incredibly gifted at chemistry and math. I am willing to roll up my sleeves and really give it a try and put in the work. What do you all think? I really want to do this and have finally boosted me confidance up to start speaking with advisors, I do not want to back down...But I would really love some advice. Any if you can offer it, I feel like I would really be good...Tell me what you think about it...

Re: back to school to become a nurse, HELP!

This is a little pathetic that I am replying to my own thread. I just read more posts and now I am really nervous. I don't know if I would get into a Nursing program! I have graduated but my grades were not good...I mean mediocre at best 2.5 GPA. I flunked classes etc. I am willing to put in the work to knock out these prereq's but jeez, I am really nervous. For me to quit my job go back to school Full time and not be accepted I would be devastated. I also know there are all of these tests you have to take. I am freaking out! I really want to do this, and I hate that I am doubting myself! Am I going to be able to do this? Even if I get good grades in my prereq's will the GPA I have from my degree totally kill me? Even though i didn't care and didn't know what I wanted to do and now I would be willing to do anything? AAAAAAAGGGGGHHH! What do you guys think?????

I really think it has a lot to do with which school you are gonna try and get into. I have seen here that some could not get in with GPA's of 3.8, and others who had much less. depends on the school and how stiff the competition is. I got into an ADN program with a GPA of 3.35, and was one of 57 selected. But i have no idea of how many applied. Again i think the larger the community, the more picky there gonna be. Hope this helps

Be Safe

Jerry

Smile Re: back to school to become a nurse, HELP!

Hi

I'm 41 and just getting into the LPN program! It's taken me this long to get to the point I felt I could do this. I grew up with No confidence in my abilities and grades in high school that reflected this. I've been in therapy and plugging away one class at a time and I just found out I was accepted !! I almost passed out.
    this has really given my confidence a Boost!! It's really hard to get into the RN program and I really don't want to mess with all the harder math classes, so for now at least, I'm going for the LPN and may cross over. Don't listen to all the burned out people out there, a lot of life is what WE make of it!

Hope this helps!
    cindy

I think if they really hated their jobs they would not be working there. One great advantage to being a nurse is that if you are working in one area and find it doesn't suit you or else the folks you work with are not a good mix, you can easily go and do something else in nursing. Esp, right now with the nursing shortage. What I like best about nursing is the mental stimulation and the sense that you are helping people. Nurses do whine.. we like to whine..