Thread: Male Urinal: Patient SPILLS!

Male Urinal: Patient SPILLS!

Survey: Male Urinal Spills
    After a recent stay in the Hospital – and first hand experience with products that haven’t had a design improvement since 1950 – I’m working with a major disposable medical company and I’ve got to do a sanity check.

Portable male urinals and spills there of is the subject. I spilled 1 of every three times I had to use one. A survey of nurses I know (about 10) indicated they experienced at least one spill nearly every shift worked…unless they worked in an area where most patients could walk to the bathroom (like emergency).

So…what’s your experience?
    - Spills per shift
    - Patients using these urinals per shift
    - Area of work
    - Clean up time
    - Instances of finally resorting to a catheter

Thank you so much for you input…Hopefully, something can be done to increase patient dignity and make this part of your job easier.

Yep, that’s the one.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male Urinal: Patient SPILLS!

We already discussed this- please see our responses to your duplicate post from January....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Re: Male Urinal: Patient SPILLS!

Sorry, Amanda...didn't mean to disrespct the forum in any way. The last time I posted I didn't get a response to my question; only suggestions for the urinal problem. I reworded slightly/retitled in hopes that folks would understand that I was only soliciting thier experiences, not solutions. Guess I need to take the blame if it wasn't clear.

Thank you for your response last time...do you have spill issues with this urinal?

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    We already discussed this- please see our responses to your duplicate post from January....
    Re: Survey: Male Urinal Spills
    Couple things.....

Most patients in an emergency room cannot get up and walk around- to the bathroom or elsewhere. There are just as many non-ambulatory patients in the emergency room as there are anywhere else in the hospital...

Spilling a urinal is not an indication for a foley catheter. Catheters are used for incontinence, urinary retention, or to measure output- not for the convenience of a nurse because his/her patient has spilled their urinal one too many times.....

Resident Trauma Queen