Congrats! Nursing & Midwifery Council Announces New Chief Executive And Registrar, UK

The Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) announced the appointment of Professor ****on Weir-Hughes as its new Chief Executive and Registrar.

Professor Weir-Hughes is currently Executive Director of Nursing at Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust/Professor of Nursing at London South Bank University. He will succeed Kathy George CBE RRC as Chief Executive and Registrar on Monday 2 November 2009.

The Chief Executive and Registrar is the senior executive role in the NMC and is responsible for ensuring that the core functions of the nursing and midwifery regulator are delivered across the UK.

Professor Weir-Hughes will be responsible for:

- Working with the Chair and Council to set the strategic direction of the NMC and ensuring the Council receives appropriate and timely advice and information;

- Maintaining and upholding the Register;

- Leading the executive team to ensure effective implementation of strategy and ensuring that the NMC's activities are planned, coordinated and directed to achieve agreed objectives and standards for quality, financial, and legislative purposes;

- Building effective relationships with a wide range of external partners including the four health departments of the UK, other regulatory bodies, professional bodies and trades unions, education providers and developing arrangements for the fuller engagement of patients and the public.

Commenting on the announcement of Professor Weir-Hughes as the NMC's new Chief Executive and Registrar, Professor Tony Hazell, NMC Chair, said:

"I am delighted that ****on has accepted the key role of Chief Executive and Registrar of the NMC. ****on will bring to the NMC not only his extensive experience as a senior nurse manager who has provided leadership and delivered tangible results throughout his career, but also as someone who has demonstrated a strong commitment to supporting the most vulnerable in society both within the UK and beyond. I am confident that ****on will use his experience and skills to work with the Council and to provide the necessary leadership to enable the NMC to continue to meet its primary objective of enhancing the safety of patients and the wider public".

Professor Hazell continued:

"In welcoming ****on to the NMC, I must also pay tribute to the work of Kathy George who took on the role of Chief Executive and Registrar during a challenging period for the NMC. Kathy's experience and leadership has brought stability to the NMC and has led to significant and positive progress being made in a number of areas as acknowledged in the recently published performance review by CHRE".

Commenting on his appointment as Chief Executive and Registrar, Professor Weir-Hughes said:

"I am proud to have been offered one of the most influential and responsible roles within the UK's nursing and midwifery professions.

The Chief Executive and Registrar is influential not just in terms of working with the Council and staff to set those standards of education, training and conduct that seek to ensure nurses and midwives practice safely but also in working with other regulators within the UK, Europe and overseas.

It is a responsible role because there can be no greater responsibility for any nurse or midwife than being accountable for the Register and for ensuring that the work we do directly contributes to protecting the health and well-being of patients and the public.

This role provides me with the opportunity to contribute to the development of my profession. I am excited by the challenges ahead and I look forward to working positively with all our partners".