Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recovering nurse chat

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Recovering nurse chat

I told him! Did he listen? No. Must be a male thing.

I have been out of work now for 3.5 years because of a pos. ua. What the hell am I suppose to do. No one will hire me. I have 23 years of critical care experience. Any ideas.?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roesseba View Post
    I have been out of work now for 3.5 years because of a pos. ua. What the hell am I suppose to do. No one will hire me. I have 23 years of critical care experience. Any ideas.?
    You say you had a positive UA. I would like to know what happened since. Did you in fact have a problem? Did you go into a recovery program? Have you participated in any kind of program with your state BON? Where have you looked for work? You need to be willing to step out of your comfort zone to get that first job. I ended up taking a job in acute psych. Where I worked for four years. I am now an administrative nurse for a company that owns group homes.

Hope this helps

Hppy

Hi,
    I am new here-and kind of nervous...I will start my daily call ins for a urine test tomorrow-then 3 AA meetings per week....I went to a nice non-AA retreat-that helped me identify why I drink-the Board seems to be punitive-but I realize that we are caring for pt.'s....Does anyone have any opinions on what future employers would say once we disclose we are in monitoring?
    Thanks!!!

Welcome - There are several of us here who have traveled and continue to travel your journey. It is not the end of the world. The Boards can be punitive and at times seem very unreasonable. They are all strong pushers of the AA model. So get used to the idea of going to meetings. 3 AA meetings a week is not so bad - I had to go to a meeting every day for almost a year - the board figured that as long as I wasn't working I might as well be in a meeting. When I was approved to go back to work they cut it back to three. I have been out of the diversion program for two years now. I'm working as a nurse and living a full and happy life that is mostly free of resentment and worry. I honestly believe that I would not be alive today were it not for the Board Monitoring program.

As for what the future holds - only you can determine that. Don't get ahead of yourself. Certain employer's are easier to work with than others. It also seems to vary from state to state. For now concentrate on your sobriety and recovery. If you are in a state that pays disability get your doctor to sign off and collect for as long as you can.

If you live in the Southern California area near Los Angeles I might be able to help you when it comes time to look for work.

Read through the sticky's on this site they will offer you helpful tips with regard to diet and household chemicals that can cause positive drug and alcohol tests. Keep you chin up but also find ways to be of service and stay humble. Personally I prayed more in the first year of sobriety than I did my whole life.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Thanks for the info!!! I wil get my 1st drug screen tomorrow....I am sooooooooo nervous-then go to AA meeting for the 1st time....I worry that the BON may not let me go on vac.? We have tickets for Key West....How do they work with you on that???
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robot View Post
    Thanks for the info!!! I wil get my 1st drug screen tomorrow....I am sooooooooo nervous-then go to AA meeting for the 1st time....I worry that the BON may not let me go on vac.? We have tickets for Key West....How do they work with you on that???
    Thanks!!!
    It largely depends on the board - and the availability of test sites and AA meetings - Yes you will most likely have to call in and go to meetings. For a list of meetings nationwide go to www.asoberplace.com I once went to a great fireside meeting on the beach in Hawaii. Check to see about availabily of test site where you are going. When you ask to go on vacation ask and tell them how you will handle testing and meetings. There's no shortage of drunks in Key West so there's sure to be meetings there.

After you have a year or so of sobriety under your belt you will most likely be able to go on Vacationn without going to meetings.

Hppy

Robot,
    I am in the BON alternative program now. Been in about 16 months. At first, I was very confused, scared generally F'd up. After rehab, I started the daily check ins, AA 3 days a week and counseling. At first I never left my home town, but now I do escape occasionally. I just have to write, email or fax my compliance coordianator and notify first lab. I have never had any problems or been turned down. Best if luck to you. This program is a bit hard but sure beats the alternative!!

TraceR
    Last edited by TraceR; 01-30-2011 at 05:29 PM.

I think the chat room is down right now but if you post on the nurses in recovery board there's pretty good activity. We're all in this together..... Keep posting........

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Yeah, Chat is down for right now. I asked Da Boss, Aaron, to get it going again. However, he has alot on his plate, and some things are put on the back burner. One of them is the Chat Room.

If it's only me ragging, he may not listen.....Maybe if you all PM or e-mail him, he'll take the hint?!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast