Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your specailty

Re: What is your specailty

I do Tele/Step Down/PCU. In the past I have done Drug/Alcohol Rehab, MS, Psych, and Corrections

MICU/CCU with general surgery patients thrown in. When I first started our Trauma Center was just getting going so our patients went from being MVA's or GSW's to TRAUMAS! Found that whole scene very depressing because we had so many young people with head injuries. I honestly think sometimes we don't do some patients a favor by saving them, in fact I have had a few say that a year or so after their accident. So in 1995 our units split and open heart/trauma stayed and MICU/CCU went one floor down. 95% of us went. Gee wonder if the surgeons had anything to do with our decisions?????? Been a nurse for 10 years and started in Critical Care.

EMERGENCY/TRAUMA NURSING

I absolutely love the variety, fast pace, and adrenaline of the job. Don't get me wrong, the job is really stressful too. I have my days where I fell completely burned out and jaded, but I still go back. I have been in Emergency Nursing for about 7 years. I am drawn to the specialty because of the autonomy I have as a nurse, the collaboration between myself and my nursing peers as well as with the attending docs, and the encouragement to be as good a nurse as one can be. A great ER nurse is one who knows alot about alot of things and is very effective in their job. I want to be a teacher, a healer, and a scholar.....In essence, I want to be an ER nurse!

I've been in the prehospital end of things since '89 as a firefighter/paramedic. My expertise and experience naturally is extended to the ER since that is my area of greatest familiarity. Like Shortbus, I haven't completed school yet. I'm leaning towards ER nursing at the moment but only time will tell. Currently, while in RN school, I'm working as a paramedic in an ER and really enjoying it.

I've been finished w/ school since August...nothing's changed though...I still make a good drink

I have done 11 years of peds and 4 of outpt med onc, breast cancer specifically. Both very rewarding but for different reasons.

Peds was little ones, up to age 3. Those little peanuts are amazing, seem to recover from almost anything!

The breast cancer pts were almost all metastatic. I worked as a primary nurse for a female med onc who was absolutely fantastic and she had a real interest in this that spurned my interest in it. Very rewarding, and interesting. Not cookbook medicine at all and I had total independence and support from her in looking after my pts.

I've been an RN for over 30 years now (wow, am I old!)and have done a variety of different types of nursing, but my favorite has been Occupational Health Nursing. I had the opportunity to work for Ford Motor Company as both a per diem nurse and staff. For 5 years, I actually ran the medical for 2 plants next to each other, one a Paint Plant and the other a Vinyl, Knit, and Plastic Plant. I was able to do all aspects of occupational health njursing as well as teach CPR and Safety classes. Then working 20 years per diem, I worked at many different types of industrial plants within Ford Motor Co. I have also worked for the Detroit Newspaper Agency, my favorite site was the Free Press Plant on the Detroit River with a view of the Ambassador Bridge. In Occupational Health, you are a combination of med/surg/ER nurse, teacher, friend, mental health contact, priest, mother, Physical therapist, massage therapist, etc. We did a lot of hands on care as well as referrals for our employees. Sometimes it seemed that we were the only ones they could come to with their concerns and then
    would refer them to others that could help them with their personal and familty problems. It was a very satisfying job.

It used to be inpt acute hospice. Now, it's chronic dialysis.

I'm currently in pain management although critical care has been my speciality. It's a nice change to make people feel better immediately...usually I don't get to see the end result. I'm doing this as a project for my masters program..but am enjoying the change.

I work inpatient oncology. We don't receive BMT's but cover surgical intervention as well as patient's for medical management. I see a good variety of diagnoses, symptoms, etc. I admire the strength, graciousness and wisdom my patient's exhibit.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast