Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your specailty

What is your specailty

What is your particular specality? How long have you been in the specality? What made this area of nursing specail to you?

I do Endoscopy, Out Patient Day Surgery and Pacu. I've been in one of those 3 areas at various times over the last 23 years. I am not overly fond of "long term" nursing care and I like the past pace of those areas. It let's me do my thing , and move on to the next patient.

Re: What is your specailty

Since I'm not done with school yet; I'd have to say mine is a Pina Colada, with a small scoop of orange sherbet, and two teaspoons of sugar blended in. I also make a good Tom Collins!

I have given it some thought, but I don't think I will have any way of knowing until I'm done with school. I still have a long way to go to get that done first!

What made you choose those? I can see why not long term care.

Well if you notice all 3 areas are basically Monday thru Friday day shift positions. My son was 2 or 3 and I was the Head Nurse (yeahs that is what they called unit managers back then) on the 3-11 shift in Labor and Delivery. I knew I needed to be off the evening shift before he started school and I hate working weekends, a position came up in the Recovery Room and I jumped on it. I have worked a total of 1 day on a MS unit since the day I finished school, not my cup of tea.

I guess you can say I am a jack of all. During my profession as a nurse I have done a little bit of it all. I work ER for several years, got burned out. This happens sometimes in ER. This is a great place to get good clinical skills. Fast paced, never knew what was coming in the door. You treat em and street em!!!!! But no way to develop attachments. I left ER and went to LTC for several years, as DON, too much stress from staffing shortages. Plus state and federal regulations determine how many you must staff. Never enough to sufficiently take good care of residents. But loved the residents--family I could do without sometimes. Broke my heart when they died. I guess you can say, I'm a softy. But being a compassionate nurse is the only way to practice. Then I worked Med Surg for several years and now I am in management, but still miss the nurse patient contact. Hate the staffing ratios.
    The nice part about nursing is there are lots of choices, if you find an area you don't like there is always another area to try.
    Keep looking you will eventually find your niche!!

Specialty?!? I kind of like the Margarita one!! LOL! I moved from charge nurse of CCU to psych and home health, to medical fraud investigation, LNC and auditing where I started a corporation in 1991! Then two years ago we added an on line exclusive website technology business! Now I think my specialty is TRAVELING!! :-)

I will be finished with LNC course soon. I have been a nurse for almost 30 years and like you have done just
    about everything.
    Enjoyed reading about your success.

MichelRN

After 26yrs. I have had the opportunity to work in many capacities within nursing. Not my favorite; but certainly the most rewarding was long term care.During that time, we literally "practiced medicine" as we were to follow a standing order book. If that didn't sharpen your skills! As for the young nurse writing about her concern of germs...I peeled off my clothes just inside the front door, bagged them and put them in the washer. That was even before HIV. Then of course there was the adrenalin junkie phase of trauma surgery. I guess that would compare to the ED induced adrenalin junkies. For most of you just starting in Nursing it will get you sooner or later [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Another area of my practice has been in Home Health. If you ever feel under appreciated, go do some home health. What a blessing! That, my friends, is some feel good nursing. I must say that Perioperative Nursing has my heart.

All41

"his" concern for germs!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tele/stepdown, and i have worked some ccu and some dialysis (not my preference by any stretch)

Re: All41

Ugh, oops-sorry.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast