Thread: If you have LPN, how long does it take to get RN?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you have LPN, how long does it take to get RN?

Hey all, me again. Last question talked about transferring credits, I guess I asked the wrong question. So this is a simple question, maybe this time I ask it right so I don't get slapped by my girl jk

Just curious, she will have her LPN in May, and will pass her boards, done with residency and all that in September. She will then be moving to Norfolk VA with me, where we plan to get married. How long will it take her to get her RN? I've read about a year at some places.

V/R
    J

It shouldn't take you more than 18 months tops if you have taken your basic college courses. If you haven't, then I'd say 2.5 to 3 years.

I'm an LPN. I have 146 hours of college credit. If I wanted to get my RN locally i would simply take a summer bridge class, and then two semesters of nursing and that would be it. You can go from lpn to rn or lpn to bsn online as well. It is pretty convenient but it's not exactly the cheapest route. You have to do the clinicals of course, as those can't possibly be done online, but other than that almost all of your course work would be done via the net.

I'd say if you haven't taken a college course getting your basics could be done in a year if you wanted to and then you could bridge over the next summer and then one year of nursing theory.

I'm sure there are some nurses on here who have gotten their RN, BSN, MSN, etc. after starting out as an LPN both in a physical classroom and via the online nursing degree route.

Maybe we can hear from them.

She's doin clinicals this October I guess as part of her LPN training, at least that's what I think she said. I guess I'll just need to get her transcripts and then make some calls to the schools in the Norfolk/VA Beach area. Thanks for the reply

V/R
    J

Re: If you have LPN, how long does it take to get RN?

Based on what I've heard about in New Jersey, I'm not sure about where you are going. But if you are an LPN, you can take entrance tests for the RN program. If you pass those tests you can enter a 2 year nursing program in the second year and in that case it would take 1 year to get the RN. Good Luck!

I was an LPN and it took me a year to complete my ladder program: Six weeks of Transition (crash course) in the Summer, then the specialties from September to May.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding Nurses_Guy!

Rather than worry about how long it will take her to become an RN, why not give more thought to "how"? If you both are like most of us she may want and need to work as an LPN once she's there to bring in some income and lord knows it's hard to go to a traditional college of nursing on campus while working as well.

The good thing these days is that most hospitals offer some sort of educational incentives to help their staff members continue their education so when she's interviewing for a position once she gets there she should really ask what each potential employer has to offer in that department so she can choose the job that offers the most for her needs.

Those online LPN to RN or LPN to BSN programs aren't a bad way at ALL to do the transition -- especially if the employer is willing to cover most of the costs! It's an avenue well worth exploring and they all give free, no obligation information out--- here's a list of online nursing programs --
    http://medi-smart.com/schools.htm

Each school is listed as well as what program they offer, and as I said, she can request totally free no obligation information from any of them by clicking on a school on the page that interests her- that will take her directly to that school's information form.

Good luck to you both!