Thread: Anybody from California (Bay area)...???

Wink Anybody from California (Bay area)...???

Does anybody know what the situation is in california in terms of admissions to nursing program? Why do they have a lottery system?

For me I spent 3-4 years in practice as a chiropractor and decided I needed a change to further help patients in need. Sure chiropractic does help, but I like more of a hands on approach. It seems like it is repetetive for me to do the same procedures on my patients. Don't get me wrong, the pay is ok, but try to fight lawyers and claim adjusters for your money.. A BIG hassle.

I apply for RN and LVN in community college and didn't get accepted in the RN because of the lottery system and that my pre-reqs were not accredited by the nurse council even if I graduated from Chiropractic school with the 7 year pre-req grace requirement. I currently enter into LVN and won a spot as a student and I LOVE the profession...

Couple of questions...Should I also take my pre-req at another community college while enrolled in the LVN??? Would it be hard???
    2. After graduation from LVN, how hard is it to advance my degree to be an RN?
    3. How is the job outlook for LVN compared to RN??? I know that RN are more in demand..

Thanks for any input..

Unhappy Whew!!

Sorry to say that most schools, at least in this area are run with lottery type systems. Excluding many private colleges.

look before you leap

please take the time to find out about jobs in the bay area before you expell the time and energy and money in becoming an lpn.(lvn) i have been an lvn for many years in another state. since moving to the south bay area, i have come to realize that i will neve complete the education i want so badly. i always said i wanted to have RN on mytombstone...no matter how long it took. i am a good nurse with vast experience... the only jobs available to me are in nursing homes. no hospital in my area hires lpn's. i have always worked in hospitals. i prefer it. i do not like the nursing home nursing experience. but to be able to survive that is what i must do... so my job satisfaction and burn out rate are going to be higher than ever before. I came to california with the hope of finally completely my education...those hopes are gone.. now i am just trying to survive and keep my sanity, while paying 3.00 a gallon for gas.
    Nursing is a wonderful profession.. when someone says to me they are thinking of becoming a nurse, my standard answer is don't because if you have to think about it, then it's not for you... i love nursing and just wish i could do it the way i like. good luck in the future but remember look before you leap....new to calif lvn