Thread: please help fellow nurses!

please help fellow nurses!

Hello everyone! Im a RN of 3 years and recently had my license put on probation for 2 years for an incident that happened at a hospital I was working at 2 years ago for drug diversion. Since it took so long for the probation to actually go through, my license was unblemished untill January of this year. I have been working at a nursing home for about 8 months, and my question is..should I tell my employer that my license is on probation for drug diversion for 2 years!!?? It is not a part of the probation contract that I have to tell my current employer, but I am afraid that they will somehow find out. Does anyone know if nursing homes routinely run checks on their nurses' licenses? Because I would rather not tell them in fear of losing my job. I know how hard it may be to find another job with my current situation. I am so stressed and confused and scared, depressed. I feel like such a screw up. I feel like everything I have worked for has gone down the tube. Im sorry, I hate the complain but I have to get it out to someone who will understand. With this job market I dont know what I am going to do if I lose my job. I dont even like thinking about how hard it will be finding a job while my license is on probation!! Especially after reading all these posts online about how hard it is. Please someone give me advice and answer my question! Thanks for reading my post-God Bless all of you in recovery.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: please help fellow nurses!

So, correct me if I read this wrong, but your license is suspended, and you're continuing to practice, and are not wanting to tell your employer that your license is suspended??? If this is the case, then you are practicing without a license, which is highly illegal. You are risking losing your license permanently by doing this, possibly jail time....

YES, you need to tell your employer about any restrictions placed on your license.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    So, correct me if I read this wrong, but your license is suspended, and you're continuing to practice, and are not wanting to tell your employer that your license is suspended??? If this is the case, then you are practicing without a license, which is highly illegal. You are risking losing your license permanently by doing this, possibly jail time....

YES, you need to tell your employer about any restrictions placed on your license.
    If you have a good relationship with your employer I would tell them. Nursing boards are funny and they frequently change the rules of their probation contracts plus if there are limitations on your license you need to adhere to them.. What concerns me more is that no where in your post do you address the issue of why you diverted if you were using or if you are in recovery. These things will be very important in the days and weeks to come. Take it from someonewho has been there done that.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

You didn't state if you are an RN or an LPN, but.... As you are aware, the LPN licenses came due for renewal the end of January; RN licenses don't come due until May of next year. I would REALLY tell said employer. Why? When the State Inspectors come in (and they will, TRUST me!), they will check and it may be worse.

As the saying goes..."honesty is the best policy". Things will work themselves out if you don't hide, cover up or buck the system. The BON will find out.

You mention having diverted a couple years ago. Are you in recovery?

If you read my thread, you would see that I wrote I was on probation, not suspension.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Smile So are you in recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    If you read my thread, you would see that I wrote I was on probation, not suspension.
    I keep asking this question because the Board no matter what state you are in is going to want to know. From experience I can tell you when they ask you better be able to honestly say yes and be prepared to show it. Most probation contracts these days will require you to be attending AA/NA, some type of mandtory testing schedule, and that you have a sponsor and be in a nurse support group. If you are not doing these things best get started.

I mean this sincerely - You will not save your license without doing these things. If it's been two years and you can't prove you've had treatment - the Board will very likely remand you into some form of in-patient or out-patient treatment. This of course will be at your expense. I just want you to be prepared for what's coming your way so that you are not suprized when it happens. When I went before the board I was already three weeks into an out-patient program so they didn't make me go in-patient.

It will all seem like so much BS at first but treatment not only saved my career, but my life, my marriage and family as well. Today I am a working RN, sober 5 years and still actively working my recovery ( and loving life).

Peace and Namaste

HPPY

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    If you have a good relationship with your employer I would tell them. Nursing boards are funny and they frequently change the rules of their probation contracts plus if there are limitations on your license you need to adhere to them.. What concerns me more is that no where in your post do you address the issue of why you diverted if you were using or if you are in recovery. These things will be very important in the days and weeks to come. Take it from someonewho has been there done that.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum of diversion so to speak. I'm an RN and just last week lost my job for diversion and using. You stated that you have been through the same situation and are clean for 5 years. Congrats!!!!! I could use your advice. I self referred to the Ca Diversion Program via BRN. I am awaiting a phone call from someone to do an intake. I have decided not to work in fear of breaking the rules. I don't want to make anymore mistakes. I used for 2 months until I was called in by Pharmacy and my manager. I confessed because I knew I was in need of help. Before all of this, I booked a flight out of State to a family member who could help me detox. I thought I was going to die but I feel somewhat back to normal. I have found several NA meetings but could not find a support group as of yet. I'm hoping that my councelor can direct me to a M.D. also. I'm still not sure if the BRN will allow me to keep my license and I am extremely worried. According to the criteria on the BRN website I am eligible but I'm worried they will not accept me. I am filing bankruptsy and am losing my house and car. I have lost all hope at this point. I am a single mother of 2 and my children are standing strong by my side. I have let them down miserably and have lost all respect for myself. Please...any advice you can give me will be so appreciated. I want to start over. Do you think that the board will give me a second chance?

my license is on probation for drug diversion for 2 years
    Are you in an alternative to discipline program? Do you have restrictions on your license? Did the board require you to sign a consent agreement? It's extremely rare that a board of nursing would not require a nurse caught diverting drugs to inform their employer of the status of their license. Most also require your employer to provide status reports at set intervals. One of the things we do as a result of the disease of addiction is harbor secrets. Almost everything we did when our disease was active was shrouded in secrecy (for obvious reasons). Part of working a solid program of recovery is to be honest, especially when it comes to our practice of nursing. As my first sponsor told me we are only as sick as our secrets.

Contact your state association or an attorney familiar with the nurse practice act in your state for guidance.

You're in my prayers,
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The beginning is the worst part. I am in a recovery program for nurses in new jersey. I have been in this program for almost 3 years......Look for peer support in your area. I am working again after i thought all hope was lost. So hang in there, it was rough but its ok.