Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inserting The Foley Catheter In A Male Patient

Inserting The Foley Catheter In A Male Patient

****o
    Please I Need Some Information On How To Insert The Foley Catheter In A Male Patient.i Am A Student Nurse And While Doing Research I Realise I Need Detailed Information This Topic.
    Please If Any One Can Help Me I Will Be Very Grateful.
    God Bless You.

Arrow Foly catheter insertion

****o Caleb
    The first step and usually reassure ur pt.
    wash hands. prepare ur pt and ur sterile gloves and foly catheter and sterile pasin and cotton. wash hands again.open the pack of the catherter (maintain it setrility) .don ur sterile gloves.put the setrile pain near the pt. insert the cathe. which it must be suitable in it's gauge. insertion must be gentle to decrease the pain. and the end of the catheter must be in the pasin.By gradual insertion drops of urine start to flow in the tube that mean the catheter is in the bladder.so u must after that to inflate the ballon of the catheter accouding it's size using setrile normal saline. finally conncet the end of the tube to the urine sack...................there is may less pain during insertion so ask the pt to inhalate deeply.
    dont forget to document this procedure in the rsing note.
    thanx...................

Re: Inserting The Foley Catheter In A Male Patient

I worked at a hospital that males did male catheters, and I was one of a VERY few men on 3-11 shift. So some hints after THOUSANDS of insertions:

As far as inhaling during insertion, I have them loudly exhale. That way they don't end up holding their breath and tightening up and causing pain.

Even though you get urine flashback, continue to insert all the way to the y-port. You can then hold the penis and the y-port in one hand and inflate with the other. More importantly, going in as far as possible decreases the chance of inflating the balloon in the wrong spot (OUCH!!) Then, as you would with any insertion, gently pull back on the tubing until resistance is met.

Slight resistance on insertion at the prostate is normal. Moderate either means he's bearing down or may have an enlarged prostate. Make sure he's not bearing down before continuing. Maximum resistance causing large amounts of pain usually means enlarged prostate--If you can't get through, DON"T force with all of your might!! Get help to put in a coude cath (if hosp policy allows).

Detailed instructions on inserting a catheter can be found in your nursing practice or lab book. You can also do a search for inserting a foley catheter on Google and you will find your answer.

Re the older thread about Foley's and male pt's:

A note to RN students and, perhaps, a fresh perspective to older and wiser RN's than this newbie who is starting his first job out of school.

First, I have been a pt who has had a Foley inserted and which remained for a week before removal and who had to self-straight cath for a year afterwards. Though the number of Foley insertions on pts (male and female) I can count on my hands with fingers left over, I hopefully speak with some very modest personal experiential authority.

Unlike females, males have two urethral sphincters: one at the bladder outlet (kinda like a naval, er, umbilicus, everybody has on) and the other at the downstream side of the prostate. As a result, the male pt cath experience significantly differs from that of the female pt.

Sooo, my humble technique is to insert the cath until I feel resistance of the first sphincter then, with gentle pressure against the sphincter, wait for it to relax, then advance to the next resistance point, i.e., the bladder sphincter. allowing it to relax before advancing the cath.

During a school clinical, I had to straight cath a male pt. The first time, the pt's reg nurse was observing me and says "just shove it it!" The look of horror on the pt's face said it all. Needless to say, I used the technique outlined above and had a thankful happy camper of a pt afterwards.

Just my 2cents ...

Jim, RN

Curious ~ How many female nurses have encountered a male patient that was uncomfortable about a female nurse inserting a catheter - and how do you deal with this if it is a problem? What if there are no male nurses available to do this - is the doctor called to do this - what if the patient gets too upset about it, how do you calm him down - or do you just leave the room ??? Does it ever work to just keep on talking to him until he gives in - or - ??? Does the question of male modesty come into it - or,perhaps is it a matter of embarrassment or an incvasion of his privacy ??? Would like to hear something positive on this subject ???

Member Extraordinaire

I have never had a man ask to have another man insert his foley. If they did, and a male colleague was available, I'd get a male to do it. If a male was not available, and the patient didn't want a female putting in the foley, then I would just chart that the pt. refused. I do not spend much time trying to "convince" a patient to have something done that they do not want done. I will explain the procedure and why it is necessary, and if the patient refuses, that's their right.

As far as a doctor putting in a foley, most (except for urologists) have probably not inserted a foley since the very beginning of medical school. I can pretty much guarantee you that most non-urologist doctors are NOT going to be putting any foleys in, and you would probably either be laughed at or yelled at if you asked them to.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I didn't even know what a Foley catheter was and curiosity got the best of me here (I haven't even started nursing school yet), so i googled it. Alas, the miracle of youtube:

YouTube - Male Catheter Insertion

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 48103 View Post
    I didn't even know what a Foley catheter was and curiosity got the best of me here (I haven't even started nursing school yet), so i googled it. Alas, the miracle of youtube:

YouTube - Male Catheter Insertion

I know it's meant to be educational, and not funny, but this was hilarious. She took sooooo long putting that foley in, and that was one HUGE urethra!
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    I know it's meant to be educational, and not funny, but this was hilarious. She took sooooo long putting that foley in, and that was one HUGE urethra!
    yea, but she must have done something right, the patient didn't complain, or figit, or anything:nurse-rofl:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast