Hey Chris,

Congratulations! Getting a nursing job won't be very different from getting a respiratory therapy job, really, so take a second to savor your success and catch your breath.

Once upon a time, I was in management and had the responsibility of hiring so I can share a bit of insight from the other side of the desk particularly, on the subjects of resume writing and interviewing.

The best resumes I've seen are brief, focused and grammatically excellent. A resume need not be more than one or two pages. If you cruise the internet looking for different templates, you will find something that fits your style. Regardless of how you choose to arrange your information, do the next few things and you will be successful.

Use plain white paper and simple text like Tahoma or New Times Roman, DO NOT embellish with borders, pictures or colors, be careful not to over-exaggerate your qualities and never, ever lie. Once your resume is done, take the time to write a business style cover letter addressed to the nursing recruiter, by name. This letter is like a synopsis of your resume with a few words about why you feel you would be a good fit at their facility. Briefly detail your interests and work history. This is where you can feature your respiratory care experience. Be sure to express interest in the facility and specifically, the target area. As with your resume, take the time to write this letter well and be absolutely sure about grammar and spelling. About a week after you mail off the resume and letter, follow up with a phone call. If they don't offer you an interview, ask to come in for one.

The next area I'd like to cover is the interview itself. Show up a few minutes early and have a binder with you in which to take notes. Write down names, titles and any other details. Be sure to have several copies of your resume with you and offer them to anyone who attends your meeting. When the introductions happen, stand up, give a firm handshake(not dishrag or knuckle crusher), make eye contact and smile. When seated, have good posture and lean foreward slightly because it shows interest. When it's your turn to speak, don't be afraid to pause momentarily to form your thoughts and then, enunciate well. If you're self conscious, practice standing and speaking in front of a mirror. It will help you become aware of nervous habits and facial expressions that you aren't aware of.

Since you're accustomed to healthcare institutions, these statements will be "no brainers" but others may read this post and not know these things so, indulge me. Go neatly dressed in business casual attire. Women should wear office professional clothing, not evening wear, not revealing, conservative shoes and pantihose or stockings. Men can skip the tie if it will kill them but dress pants and a button down shirt are necessary. No slogan tee shirts that can be seen under the dress shirt. Make up, jewelry, tattoos and fragrance are next. Regardless of what the institutional policy is on these things, appear conservatively at your interview(s). That means no bold studs and rings in visible piercings. If you prefer to wear something, it should be conservative and limited to two; one in each ear. If you have a tongue ring that doesn't impede your speech and you aren't inclined to play with it, leave it in. Otherwise, take it out for your interview. Multiple-multiple rings, bracelets and neclaces are not appropriate for the healthcare workplace and should not be worn. Hair should be clean and conservatively groomed. Tattoos should be covered. Make up, if you wear it, should be minimal and fragrance should be avoided.

Finally, after the interview, follow up with a thank you note.

This may sound like a lot but believe me, these things are what will make you stand out- in a positive way. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck,

R