Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

I have a question. 7 yrs ago I was convicted of a felony it was not drug related, but i was wanting to know I have been going to school and pretty soon will have all my basic done and was wanting to get my nursing degree. i was wanting to know if anyone knows if i would be able to get it I live in texas but will be moving to cali in a year. should i go ahead or just give up and find something else to do. i have tryied researching it but i can't seem to find out anything. when i lived in california in 2001 i was going to maric college for nursing and they did a back ground check at the beginning of the semester and didn't say anythingbut we moved 3 months later so i was unable to finish. if anyone knows anything please let me know. thank you, Julie

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Julieanne, only the State where you get your license can answer your question. I would suggest contacting them.

'Cat'

Nursing Jobs for Felons

How long do you have to wait to get your license back if they take it away? 1 year, 3 years, 7 years? Does it matter if you got a misdemeanor or a felony?

How long do you have to wait to get your license back if they take it away? 1 year, 3 years, 7 years? Does it matter if you got a misdemeanor or a felony?

I am hoping someone will reply because the dates on the threads date a few years back. I am a nurse in Missouri and was convicted of a drug felon more than 16 years ago. In 2005 I made application to the Missouri BON for reinstatement. I had to show all kinds of certificates of completion, as well as write a detailed letter of the events that took place during my addiciton up until my rehabilitation. Once the board met, I was notified that I would be reinstated my license after passing the NCLEX for the second time. Well, I passed and was placed on one year probation with random urine drops (a small price to pay for something I thought I would never get back). Anyway, after all of that I could not find anyone to hire me as a nurse. I even called the state BON, asking them if I had any restrictions, and informing them of what I was going through. Well I did not have any restrictions and the law did not prevent me from working as a nurse, but they told me maybe it was policies of the health facilities I had made application to more preventing them from hiring nurses with certain convictions. I was devastated. I decided to stop filling out applications and submitted an application to the Governor of Missouri for a full pardon. After 2 years of waiting, I was denied clemency.I want to let anyone reading this message know that all that time I was working in a job that made more money than an LPN long before I even approached the BON for reinstatement. Nursing is where my heart is and nursing is what I wanted to do again. During the 2 years while I was waiting on the Governor's denial I began taking pre-req classes for an RN course I have applied for ( I already had my bachelors degree in business).I was praying that one day the state might create some type of language that would allow health facilites to give nurses with felonies a second chance, because after during my research I found out that the social secutiry act of 1996 has a list of reasons why a health facility will be dinied certain benefits, and hiring felonies is one of them. It also states that it is effective as of 1996, but I guess the health facilities had decided it was best to deny all felons no matter when they were convicted. I say this because my crime was committed in 1992. I have not started the RN program yet because the school has postponed the entire class until 2010, but I have finished all of the pre-req courses and passed the entrance test. I am moving forward if they will have me. Recently an agency hired me as a visiting nurse (I do physical assessments and check on assigned caregivers) and they are well aware of my past. I do my visits when I leave my full time job. The owners of the agency told me they admired my honesty. They just don't know, but they gave me hope again that there are people out there that believe in giving others a second chance. I hope this thread will be an inspiration to other nurses with felonies and are seeking nurse jobs.

what state did this happen in. I am now in process of getting felony conviction and I am not sure what the board is going to do at this point. I am hoping to stay on with my hospital in another position so this doesnt happen to me. Good luck to I would try calling first and speaking to department heads prior to going through HR so they can maybe put a good word in for you.

Hi, I would love to help you with your assignment, and allow people to better understand addiction and that nurses are not perfect and we can be addicts too. feel free to email me: Laurie2400@hotmail.com

This happened in the state of Missouri. If you already have a nursing job, you have an advantage because you don't have to go looking for a job a job and go through the back ground checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by shelby rn View Post
    what state did this happen in. I am now in process of getting felony conviction and I am not sure what the board is going to do at this point. I am hoping to stay on with my hospital in another position so this doesnt happen to me. Good luck to I would try calling first and speaking to department heads prior to going through HR so they can maybe put a good word in for you.

Quote Originally Posted by necole View Post
    I'm not for sure what state your in, but in the state of Illinois that have what is called a medical waiver for convicted felons. You should contact either your local aldermans office for assistants or your secratary of state office. I my self am a convicted felon, it has been over 7 years for me so I have contacted a attorney to represent my case in front of the governer to have my case expunged and sealed, which can still take up to 2 year to be complete, but it really the only chance that I myself have.

I hope this info is helpful to you
    Necole
    so after seven years in the state of Illinois a felony can be sealed?

Quote Originally Posted by whattheydokid View Post
    I was wondering how things were going for other nurses with felonies, and I wanted to post an update in regards to my situation. In my last posting I stated I had a full time job and I was working for a small nursing agency on the side, and they were well aware of my 1992 felony conviction. I worked for them from July 2009 to March 2009. I left on a good note, because the amount of travel I had to do was becoming very time consuming and costly. It was all for the best because I will begin my RN program in Jaunary 2010. I am so excited. Yes, I still have the felony in my background, but I figured if that agency hired me, I am sure there is another one that will take a chance on me too. In a couple of months I will make application to the Governor for a full pardon (for the second time). To be honest with you, I don't think getting a full pardon actually removes your name from the nursing registry they have recently established for nursing employers to check, but I am going to go for it anyway. In my state of residency, evening RN programs are hard to come by. I have been on a waiting list for more than 2 years. I was so scared i was going to be denied once they did my background check, but all is well. I begin classes in a week. The way I see it, anything is possible with a little faith and a lot of determination.

Quote Originally Posted by whattheydokid View Post
    It has been my understanding that even with a pardon you are not excused from listing your a felon. Also research has shown that a State pardon / expungement / sealed record is much much easier to get than Federal. I am from MS. but was convicted in TN. I now have a lawyer and will seek full restoration of rights instead of the pardon. I wish you the very best of luck.
    Rick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast