Thread: Nursing Jobs for Felons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Nursing Jobs for Felons

It all depends on your State BON. Illinois also has the PANN network for those nurses with drug addictions.

Hi I just found this forum and would like to ask a question I have been a nurse for 28 years Mostly critical care. However, I am in recovery and during my addiction I acquired several felony convictions. the thing is ,is that I have a active licenceand the board is aware of my problems. I am perfectly legal to work. What stops me is i can't get passed human resourses because of the backgroung check. I have had several interviews and things go well until I have to explain that I am a convicted felon. I want to work soooo bad. It is all I have done my adult life. Anyone have any insight or info that might help? I thank you in advance! Gary

Gary, it may relay a lot on the culture and area in which you live. I have a friend (RN) who successfully completed CA diversion program however received a felony. This RN worked in non patient care for 7 years before applying to return to patient care. This RN was completely upfront in the interview and provided a copy of the letter stating her successful completion. Fortunately, the Nurse Manager really wanted to hire this nurse and was able to do so. Good luck to you and I hope you find something that makes you happy.

Re: etg testing

I have heard that there is a class action suit against Dr. Skipper? Does anyone know anything specifically about this? Thanks.

Re: etg testing

Quote Originally Posted by CABAYRN View Post
    I have heard that there is a class action suit against Dr. Skipper? Does anyone know anything specifically about this? Thanks.
    Dr. Skipper has been called on to testify since he's one of the physicians involved in the Alabama Physician's Health Program (I don't know if he still is the medical director or not) and has been a strong advocate for establishing standards for minimum levels for a "positive" test. He has warned that using etg levels alone to discipline someone should not be done. He's one of the good guys based on the things I've read.

Jack
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nursing Board

I was released from my probationary term of the consent agreement in May but have been unable to find a job. On my license record in the computer, the Nursing Board put "with prior discipline" on it and I believe employers are seeing that and are unwilling to give me a chance. I asked about removing it but they said under no condition. I would tell any interviewer about my problems but just cannot get in the door. I can now expunge my record and have the felony removed but not the Nursing Boards comment. Has this happened to anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by cindylaloca View Post
    I was released from my probationary term of the consent agreement in May but have been unable to find a job. On my license record in the computer, the Nursing Board put "with prior discipline" on it and I believe employers are seeing that and are unwilling to give me a chance. I asked about removing it but they said under no condition. I would tell any interviewer about my problems but just cannot get in the door. I can now expunge my record and have the felony removed but not the Nursing Boards comment. Has this happened to anybody else?
    We are kind of in the same boat. I was convicted of 4 counts of obtaining prescriptions drugs by fraud in 2005. My RN license was revoked in 2006. I have since completed my probation, and in May, by the grace of God, got my license back with no strings attached. I have been looking for a job ever since. I am pretty much begging for a job now...all I need is for someone...one person...to give me a chance, and I can prove myself...I just havent found that one person yet. I have had 3 interviews thus far, but no luck yet. I am waiting to hear from my last interview as we speak. I live in TN, and I know things are different here, but id love for you to keep me posted on how things are going for you...I can do the same if you want me to. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully both of us can soon find the job that God wants us to have. And if there is anyone reading this in a similiar situation that is from Tennessee, I really would appreciate any advice you have, I need all the help I can get. Thank you very much, Angie

Does your license have the prior discipline comment also? I am positive that before even being called for an interview your license is checked by the prospective employer. They more than likely do not want to waste their time on us and pre-check applications. What bothers me is that we are asking for the felony to be removed, so the court will do that, but the Nursing Board will not. I have spent years doing everything asked of me and the most demeaning was when I had to submit to "observed" urine testing.

I am hoping someone will reply because the dates on the threads date a few years back. I am a nurse in Missouri and was convicted of a drug felon more than 16 years ago. In 2005 I made application to the Missouri BON for reinstatement. I had to show all kinds of certificates of completion, as well as write a detailed letter of the events that took place during my addiciton up until my rehabilitation. Once the board met, I was notified that I would be reinstated my license after passing the NCLEX for the second time. Well, I passed and was placed on one year probation with random urine drops (a small price to pay for something I thought I would never get back). Anyway, after all of that I could not find anyone to hire me as a nurse. I even called the state BON, asking them if I had any restrictions, and informing them of what I was going through. Well I did not have any restrictions and the law did not prevent me from working as a nurse, but they told me maybe it was policies of the health facilities I had made application to more preventing them from hiring nurses with certain convictions. I was devastated. I decided to stop filling out applications and submitted an application to the Governor of Missouri for a full pardon. After 2 years of waiting, I was denied clemency.I want to let anyone reading this message know that all that time I was working in a job that made more money than an LPN long before I even approached the BON for reinstatement. Nursing is where my heart is and nursing is what I wanted to do again. During the 2 years while I was waiting on the Governor's denial I began taking pre-req classes for an RN course I have applied for ( I already had my bachelors degree in business).I was praying that one day the state might create some type of language that would allow health facilites to give nurses with felonies a second chance, because after during my research I found out that the social secutiry act of 1996 has a list of reasons why a health facility will be dinied certain benefits, and hiring felonies is one of them. It also states that it is effective as of 1996, but I guess the health facilities had decided it was best to deny all felons no matter when they were convicted. I say this because my crime was committed in 1992. I have not started the RN program yet because the school has postponed the entire class until 2010, but I have finished all of the pre-req courses and passed the entrance test. I am moving forward if they will have me. Recently an agency hired me as a visiting nurse (I do physical assessments and check on assigned caregivers) and they are well aware of my past. I do my visits when I leave my full time job. The owners of the agency told me they admired my honesty. They just don't know, but they gave me hope again that there are people out there that believe in giving others a second chance. I hope this thread will be an inspiration to other nurses with felonies and are seeking nurse jobs.