Thread: Getting frustrated ...

Getting frustrated ...

So, I'm an LVN student that will be graduating in about two weeks. I've started my job hunt, and I've heard from so many people that they've gotten hired at various places. My problem? I want hospital, not nursing home. Evidently that's a sin. So I've sent a couple of resumes to hospitals, but to no avail. I've heard from no one, and I'm slowly but surely getting discouraged. I am getting disappointed in the healthcare field for making LVNs seem so ... useless? Dispensible? I don't know what word I'm looking for, but I'm angry about it! I hate that I have to look so hard when people are always going on about the shortage. I hate feeling this frustrated about it!

My point is, how do I try to control this stress? What can I do to put myself out there more than I already have? How can I compromise my job standards just enough to get a job without completely losing sight of what I want?

Maybe those aren't questions that a forum can help me answer, but if nothing else, I'm sure there's someone else out there who feels the same way that can at least give me some insight about controlling all this frustration.

xxo, C.

Re: Getting frustrated ...

'My point is, how do I try to control this stress?
    What can I do to put myself out there more than I
    already have? How can I compromise my job standards
    just enough to get a job without completely losing
    sight of what I want?'

Hi C,

Your frustration is certainly understandable,
    AND it may also be what is standing in your way.
    You cannot control what is outside of you, yet,
    you have total control of what is inside of you.
    This is the place to put your focus.

Focus on exactly what you want to be doing,
    FEEL how it feels to be the nurse you want to be,
    see yourself in the position helping a patient.
    Make a vision board with these images and know that
    your ideal position is available and seeking you.

Take at least 10-20 minutes at the beginning of the
    day to get yourself into the enthusiastic feeling of
    already having that position. Now, move through your
    day, knowing (believing) that the position is finding
    you. You will be amazed at how possibilities start
    to emerge.

This works!

You might like to reference 'Think and Grow Rich' by
    Napoleon Hill. Here is a free download, with the
    same type of information
    The Original and Only Science of Getting Rich Network!

May the Force Be With You~
    Aila Accad, RN, MSN
    'The De-Stress Expert'
    http://www.ailaspeaks.com
    Get "Ten Instant Stress Busters'
    e-book as a gift.

Cool Re: Getting frustrated ...

yep i can so relate to your situation. i am a LPN and figured since there was a job shortage that i would be able to get a job anywhere. WRONG! i put in 35 resumes and only got 1 interview within 2 weeks of getting my nursing licence. of course it was a nursing home. not what i wanted to do. Finally i found a training hospital. they hired LPNs so look in your area for training hospitals you might have better luck. if your not tied down with a family there are options for travel nurses too. i did the hospital for a little while. Unfortunately having a family and traveling 1 1/2 with 12 hour shifts caused way to much sleepiness behind the wheel. i ended up taking a job closer to home. A nursing home/skilled facility. it wasnt as bad as i thought. i hate the beaucracity behind it but the pts are great. may i ask why you dislike the nursing home so much? sometimes some places won't hire newbies. work at where you can for a year get some experiece. that will help open your options also. there are still alot of things that you can learn. if all else fails keep geting more education. that is another reason why i am going back to get my RN. have anymore question your more than welcome to im me.. hope that helps
    ~I Battle the Angel of Death 40 hours a week. What do you do? ~Author Unknown~

Hello RocknRed,

Can understand your frustration. Are there any LPN to RN programs around? Most take about a year and will allow you to get your foot in the door to a hospital while you are training.

On nursing homes, remember that lots of them are subacute rehabilitation facilities. If they take hips, knees, post-ops there for physical therapy, etc. you will see IVs, PICC lines, wound care and other hospital-like situations.

Time in a nursing home need not be considered time wasted. Especially with the acuity that you see in most nursing homes today.

Take heart, and take stock of your options. There are career options and places you can go from where you are.

Visit some organizations for LPNs, here:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/lpn

Hope that helps,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Thanks for all of your help, everyone. I have nothing against nursing homes on a professional level -- I know that there's much to be learned and done there. However, I have a personal ... thing (for lack of better word) that's holding me back. A hospital job is what I really want, but I suppose we'll just see what happens. I appreciate all of the advice!

Oh, and nursinghumor, I already have everything lined up to start the LVN-to-RN transition program in May.