Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frustrated!!

Angry frustrated!!

okay so i believe i have pissed off my supervisor...i am a prn nurse and i usually work 3 days one week and 4 days the next. i have never really been picky on the days off that i need. we all have to rotate weekends. well my hubbys days of are fri and sat. so the only day off i need was the fri on the weekend that i work so that i could see my hubby. well no problem there. well now that i am in school i have class on mon and wed nite. i work days so there is no interference. well she started scheduling me mon after i worked the weekend and it was making it hard to study. so i gave up my day with my hubby to have that mon off every other week. she threw a fit and said you PRN people are to work when we need you not the other way around. um hello its just one day. she was so pissed of the my holiday schedule sucks. i work thru,fri,sat, and sun of thanksgiving and then work Christmas (thurs),fri,sat and sun. i have no holidays with my family. but she called me in on my weekend off and i came in...plus i come in early every day. we have one nurse that comes in about 715am or 730. we are suppose to be there by 645am. and she gets the better schedule? help how do i smooth things over? was i being to demanding? i am trying to get my RN. plus now next semester i have to tell her i will need mon and wed every week now because my next class can't be at nite. i am afraid to tell her because i don't want to be retaliated on.
    ~I Battle the Angel of Death 40 hours a week. What do you do? ~Author Unknown~

Re: frustrated!!

oh yeah i forgot to mention that she even punished me by working me 2 days a week a one point. i had no hours. got 7 days off one week unpaid! ouch

Ricu

Hi Living Dead Nurse,

Wow! Now there's a monicker... Prior to this current situation, how has your relationship with your supervisor been? Has this always been a hard place to work? The policies around perdiem employees variy institution to institution but in all cases, this one thing is constant: You fill in the holes in the schedule. This means that your hours and shifts vary and sometimes there may be no hours at all. Some places require you to work a certain number of hours over a period of time to maintain your position while other places are just glad to have you work at all. Anyway, from the snapshot you give, it sounds like your supervisor is being an unreasonable control freak who has her favorites. Make your requests reasonable and give her plenty of notice to work with them and if things don't improve, consider going somewhere else.

Good luck,

R

Not the best..but she has really pissed off alot of us. she really has made the scedule a pain for all of us. she lets some of our Cna's work 12 and some 8 so even though there are alot of names on the schedule there are alot of hours that have holes. she won't listen about that either. there was one nite where she had 2 leaving at 7 one at nine and from nine to 11 she had one cna for 50 pts. i am so agravated! she says that she can't find any cna to work but i know a few that have put applications in and she never even interviewed them. i love working where i am at but i hate that she schedules poorly giving shortages on nurses one day excessive the next same with the cna. plus when there isn't enough cna she puts the nurses on the floor. which wasn't to bad but i can't handle alot of floor work since i got injured working on the floor. ugh if i could just get out RN school fast..

First off, Are you a nurse or a CNA? Your profile name suggest a nurse...but you say your in nursing school? You should never protray yourself as a nurse if you are not, but thats another thing entirely...

Secondaly, if you are PRN then you have a list of days that you can work if they need you, you also have the choice to accept those days are not. If the policy states that you must work, for example, 16 hours a pay period, then as long as you work those 16 hours your covered. If the only 16 hours avaliable that they have a need for a prn employee are days that conflict with your scheldule, then you need to consider going part time and having a set scheldule. PRN employees get paid more becasue they take the unpredicable scheldule, thats the point.

I saw on another post that you wrote that says you are a LPN, so that answers that question.

The point still remians though, if you are PRN you can't complain about the scheldule, as mean as it sounds your boss was right when she told you "you PRN people are to work when we need you not the other way around" as you posted.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Sounds like you ARE needed, Living, but said super doesn't know how to schedule too well. *Sigh*

Thumbs up Re: frustrated!!

I think the hardest thing I had to deal with in RN school, and am still dealing with in Nurse Practitioner school is managing my jobs. Thankfully, EMS offers a variety of scheduling options(24 on 48 off, 12 hour shifts, 8 hour shifts, ABC Rotation schedules, 7 Days on, 7 Days off).

The key is to find an employer that is willing to work with you. I don't see what the big fuss is if you are looking for one day a week, however I can tell you that RN school is an entirely different ball game, and your schedule will be greatly affected, to say the least.

Moreover, the schedule is only going to get worse once you start
    throwing clinicals into the mix. However, it does get better. As for the PM you sent me about becoming a Flight Nurse, if you truly want to become one; it will take massive dedication, but I believe in you.
    After all, you have made it this far.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Quote Originally Posted by amberdouglas View Post
    First off, Are you a nurse or a CNA? Your profile name suggest a nurse...but you say your in nursing school? You should never protray yourself as a nurse if you are not, but thats another thing entirely...

Secondaly, if you are PRN then you have a list of days that you can work if they need you, you also have the choice to accept those days are not. If the policy states that you must work, for example, 16 hours a pay period, then as long as you work those 16 hours your covered. If the only 16 hours avaliable that they have a need for a prn employee are days that conflict with your scheldule, then you need to consider going part time and having a set scheldule. PRN employees get paid more becasue they take the unpredicable scheldule, thats the point.
    OMG! The OP's Bio reads; "i have been a LPN for 3yrs and currently going to RN school to further my education". So, why all the hate? The point being she is working PRN to be able to pay some bills while going to RN program. Geez, give her break, wiil ya?

I was a Certified Surg Tech working 32 hrs/week while in RN program. My work schedule was regularly irregular. In otherwords, I was able to give the OR Mgr my school schedule & they gave me a doable work schedule. I must say my sleep patterns were null & void.

IMHO, the OP may have to work elsewhere with the understanding that RN school comes first.

Just my 2 cents
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

excuse me for not reading someones bio...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast