Thread: Paramedic to RN Bridge Program

Paramedic to RN Bridge Program

Do any of you have experience with the graduates of these programs? Just wondering about the quality of the education and training that they receive. It looks like it is mostly a self study course without hospital based clinicals. The program brings in RN's to do practical check-offs. The thought process is that the clinicals that the medics did in order to get their paramedic and the constant training and pt. contact that they have allows for them to not have to do hospital clinicals.
    I'm a newbie to the board and a first time poster. Have been an RN for 18 years and love every day of it still (well, almost every day!!) This is a great board and a wealth of information for us oldies and new nurses.

Re: Paramedic to RN Bridge Program

It varies from state to state. Kansas is finally jumping on the bandwagon. However, I don't know what the program consists of. I think it's around 12 - 18 months provided all other pre-reqs are met. There are 2, maybe 3, local community colleges offering the bridge starting Fall 05.

If you ever wonder what paramedic continuing training/patient contact consists of, I urge you to go spend a 'day (or week) in the life of' a medic. They would be thrilled to have you! (not kidding, either) I'll bet they do/know more than you realize.

This is one program I came across, can't imagine the prerequisites being too different state to state.

Paramedic-RN Program, Polk Community College:"PCC's Paramedic to RN program is anticiapated to begin in May 2006. Pending the Board of Nursing approval, the proposed program would be for students enrolled in the paramedic program as well as for those who have previously completed paramedic training. PCC hopes to be able to offer classes on the 24/48 (shift) schedule of the EMS System."
    Polk Community College / Department of Nursing
    999 Avenue H. NE
    Winter Haven, Florida 33881
    (863) 297-1010, ext. 5629
    E-mail: lschaak@polk.edu
    http://www.polk.edu/INSTRUCT/Mash/nursing/paramedic.htm

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

[ QUOTE ]
    nursinghumor said:
    ...the proposed program would be for students enrolled in the paramedic program as well as for those who have previously completed paramedic training.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is this to be simultaneous degrees?

Got me. . . .

That's why I provided the contact info so people could contact them directly with questions.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

This is the very thing I am researching. For my master's I am developing a Paramedic to RN program for our college. I am using this as my research project and I am trying to find out how these students do. I have found little information as to their completion, pass and NCLEX pass rates from these programs, or their eventual employment and employer/employee satisfation/competence. I have found many different programs across the country, with the admission requirements, courses, etc.