Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

would like some info on wearing open-toed shoes on a psych unit. i've worked on 3 different psych units, 2 of which we could wear open-toed shoes. there is not an OSHA rule against this & the only infection control issue i can find regards where you would need PPE (shoecovers).

Re: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

I can't imagine a unit where it was acceptable, and I KNOW it wouldn't be comfortable after an entire shift of wearing open toed shoes, but I have no idea where you can find any info on it, other than probably just asking someone at the hospital what the policy is.

Sorry it wasn't a very good answer but I don't know what else to say.

Why would you want to wear open toed shoes anyway? They can't be very comfy after a few hours of work, can they?

Not to be opinionated, but didnt they teach you in nursing school that open-toed shoes are not acceptable? I must have went to a school with a ton of rules. Our hair had to be up off the collar, we had to wear hose, yes panty hose under our nursing uniform, one pair of earrings, a wedding band only, if married, no other rings allowed. Very little, if any make-up allowed. Ok, you get the point. Sorry for being a little judgemental. Just letting you know what I was taught in school. I know that when we graduate and get out into the real world, we dont all do as we did in school.

Just as an FYI, on many Psych units the nurses don't wear uniforms. So they are wearing street shoes also.

On a regular unit open toed would definately not be acceptable and for me even the clog type shoes would not work. I want my socks covered...lol

For safety reasons, you wouldn't catch me in open-toed shoes. Besides the obvious infection control issues, the last thing I need is an agitated patient breaking my toes. . . . .

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Once you have a pt stomp on your open toe foot you wont wear sandals again. Work isn't a fashion show. No need for the pretty shoes. I always wear closed toe tie on shoes.

close toes shoes are allways the best choice for work.

I personally dont like the idea of open toed shoes on medical floors so I wouldnt wear them on a psych unit even though there is no policy against it..It's just safer that way. We need to be careful with our health.

Quote Originally Posted by porcelina
    Not to be opinionated, but didnt they teach you in nursing school that open-toed shoes are not acceptable? I must have went to a school with a ton of rules. Our hair had to be up off the collar, we had to wear hose, yes panty hose under our nursing uniform, one pair of earrings, a wedding band only, if married, no other rings allowed. Very little, if any make-up allowed. Ok, you get the point. Sorry for being a little judgemental. Just letting you know what I was taught in school. I know that when we graduate and get out into the real world, we dont all do as we did in school.
    Same thing at my school. For safety reasons I wouldn't wear open-toed shoes even if it was acceptable.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

First I can't believe that any facility psych or not would allow nursing staff in direct patient care to wear open toed shoes. I would check with your HR department to make sure it's alright. Don't assume because others are doing it it's ok. I work psych and while we do wear business casual there are strict guidlines for footwear. Dealing with High acuity patients I would not wear open toes for safety reasons even if they were allowed. I can't imagine doing a take down in stappy shoes. The same goes for clogs which tend to fly off your feet if you have to run.

From an infection control standpoint the most filthy place in any hospital is the floor. I recently walked into a patient's groom and stepped in a puddle of semen. Would have been really gross instead of just gross if that got on my toes.

Hppygr8ful

PS my hospital shoes are never worn anywhere but at the hospital!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast