Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Male nurse giving bed bath to a female patient.?

Male nurse giving bed bath to a female patient.?

1-Is it ethical for a male nurse to give bed bath or shower to a female patient who obviously refuses?
    2-Is it ethical for a male nurse to stripped and give bath with his bare hand's even on the female patient's genital's?
    3-Is it ethical not to seek permission from the female patient's spouse or family member's regarding male nurse giving bath to them?
    4-Had anyone of your wife's,girfriend's or even mother who obviously is a patient been given bed bath or complete shower from a male nurse without your consent or even if against their will?

Re: Male nurse giving bed bath to a female patient.?

It's never ethical to do anything to anyone against their will regardless of the nurse's gender.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

1- no it's not ethical to do anything against someones wishes, male or female.
    2- he should have gloves on, but if a male nurse is giving a bath, the genitals should be included.
    3- would a female nurse think to ask the families permission prior to giving a bath to a man?
    4- yes, my grandmother was taken care of by a male nurse. She spoke very highly of him.

Male or female, a nurse is a nurse.

Female nurses have bathed male patients for years and no one has had a problem with it.
    I am a male nurse and have had to bathe female patients and never once had anyone make an issue of it. Further, I did not become a nurse just so I could a see or bathe naked female.
    It's time to get over these issue and remember its about patient care, period.

Quote Originally Posted by 3eyes
    1-Is it ethical for a male nurse to give bed bath or shower to a female patient who obviously refuses?
    2-Is it ethical for a male nurse to stripped and give bath with his bare hand's even on the female patient's genital's?
    3-Is it ethical not to seek permission from the female patient's spouse or family member's regarding male nurse giving bath to them?
    4-Had anyone of your wife's,girfriend's or even mother who obviously is a patient been given bed bath or complete shower from a male nurse without your consent or even if against their will?
    1- NO, the patient's right to refuse medical/nursing care must be honored.

2- Not exactly, gloves should be worn whenever giving any kind of nursing care. Otherwise, as long as wearing gloves and with professional conduct an RN is an RN.

3- An RN is an RN... no matter the gender. Male RNs are fully capable of providing nursing care with the upmost professional conduct just as a female nurse giving nursing care to a male patient.

4- Again, medical/nursing care should not be given against a patient's wishes.

I, being a Male RN, find the direction of this Thread headed in a path that may be short lived.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by 3eyes
    If a patient that is mentally competent refuses treatment whether it be medications, a procedure, or a bath to name a few this person could actually charge someone with assault. When a competent person refuses treatment, no matter what it is, ask questions regarding their reasons behind the refusal and document.

Whenever I have to place a foley on a male or do anything that could have their genitals exposed I always have another person in the room with me. This protects both the patient and myself.

I see nothing wrong with this but every nurse should wear gloves when doing it. I can't imagine a nurse not wearing gloves when giving a bed bath. Asking for permission is polite and helps avoid conflicts.

People may be uncomfortable with the idea. If they are not willing to allow it, does anyone think that doesn't matter?
    If you're looking for scrubs PM me or visit http://www.scrubsgallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by toppingu
    People may be uncomfortable with the idea. If they are not willing to allow it, does anyone think that doesn't matter?
    Please, elaborate...
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by 3eyes View Post
    Moderators please forgive me.

A nurse is a nurse,is a nurse,
    universal precautions are a must,
    No means No
    and how long has it been sence the last bath?
    are they a psyc patient?
    can they bathe themselves,
    is the spouce willing to do it?
    what medical reason are they in a place where they need a bed bath.
    Obviously lots of unanswered ?'s.
    A nurse should always have someone to watch his/her back.
    If the spouce is against it but the patient dosen't care then the spouce is the only one with a problem.
    And yes my Wife has had a nurse who was a man, no I didn't have a problem with that, but the whole Male Dr. thing? What is he some kind of a freak or somthing?
    To make my point clear, under the proper conditions it is appropriat to go against a patients stated wishes, IE: With a Dr's order it would be appropriat to give a bath when one is refused and if the only one available to do it is of an objectionable gender to someone, then you must refer back to the Dr's order.
    This is probably as clear as mud by now, about like your question so if you want a clear answer please be a little more specific about the details surrounding your delemma.

Are you a sevearly jealous man, a well meaning son/spouce or just that clueless about why people become Nurses?

If it isn't perverted for a MALE Doctor to do a vaginal exam, or a FEMALE Doctor to check a mans prostate what do people have against a man bathing a woman. I do it all the time. I have been a nurse for quite a while, and I have bathed all ages of both men and Women,from teen to twentysomthing and beyond all the way up to a 106 year old woman the only thing different about these women was the fact that they were different ages, and No my Wife has not got a problem with me doing this. The only thing they have had in common (besides the obvious) is that they needed to have someone do it for them because they could not do it for themselves.
    I see a patient and thats what its all about. This notion that men become nurses to get a cheep thrill is preposterous. if they got as far as the N-CLEX exam they were doing it for the proper reasons not the perverted ones.

"And that's all I've got to say about that." (Forest gump)
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast