Here we are, back at the ageless bedbath issue except now we have the situation in reverse and it's become quite serious. I've been thinking about this thread and of course, being the verbose one that I am, need to share what's going through my head so, here goes.

Years ago, long before frivolous lawsuits and epidemic preoccupation with graphic sexuality, there was some humor to be found in in this situation. Of course there were sexual undertones but for some reason, we just laughed it off. I'm not suggesting that laughing about it will solve the seemingly arduous process of should the man bathe the woman but it may help put things in perspective.

There are still men and women and there is still sex going on but our social structure is quite different than it was years ago so we need to look at it again. Back to the bedbath. Let's see, hygeine, very important, yes? Person A is dirty and person B is there to help. Person A needs the help and Person B is willing to offer. I know it's oversimplified but that's really the where we are. Factor in our ethnicity, experience, individual morals and values around sexuality and sensuality and we intensify that very simple model. Now add the power dynamic of the nurse-patient relationship but with the sexrole reversal and we have that supercharged issue that we started with. Okay, but how do we handle it? In my opinion, we go back and oversimplify it again. A bedbath is a bedbath and nothing more or at least that's all it should be. I think that if we approach this simple, basic process in a subdued, professional, matter of fact way but keeping very aware of all forms of communication signals, the bedbath won't be a problem. There will always be exceptions but they will be few and far between.

I've been bathing female patients of all ages for years and can't remember ever having a problem. On occasion, it has been requested that a female do the bathing or toileting instead of me but I don't view that as a problem but rather a request that I should if possible, honor. Likewise, my female colleagues have approached me for help with their male patients who have requested a male to attend to them. This doesn't have to be problem oriented at all. We're looking at preferences that our patients have and if we advocate for our patients and look out for their needs, we should accommodate whenever possible and not take being refused because of our sex as a personal offense.

R