Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Male nurse giving bed bath to a female patient.?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Male nurse giving bed bath to a female patient.?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvnguy View Post
    Are you for real? I find it hard to believe those are serious questions. Are you a moderater trying to stimulate more posts? You dont have to be a nurse to know the answers to those questions.
    Nope....not a Mod. I would know if they were.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiejs View Post
    If a patient that is mentally competent refuses treatment whether it be medications, a procedure, or a bath to name a few this person could actually charge someone with assault. When a competent person refuses treatment, no matter what it is, ask questions regarding their reasons behind the refusal and document.

Whenever I have to place a foley on a male or do anything that could have their genitals exposed I always have another person in the room with me. This protects both the patient and myself.
    I would think having another person in the room would make things worse-Most of the problems are about modesty-so what is wrong with a patient being modest? I have found most female nurses pretty callused about patient modesty-especially male modesty.It's pretty easy to be indignant when your the clothed one in the discussion. I personally prefer males nurses-you would not believe the flack I get on that-It's even worse for young preteen and teen males-a total disregard for their modesty. Now I understand that you get busy, and perhaps just forget-But those of us on the patient side do not understand how you cannot understand out extreme discomfort. I for one do not go to the doctor for long periods of time because of the female tirade I get when i demand privacy and my male doctor. Just becaue you have seen it all, hundreds of time before, doesn't negate our anxiety, discomfort and our indignation over your apparent total disregard for our privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    Attitude like this make our jobs as nurses 10 times more difficult.....

If you have such disdain and dislike of healthcare professionals, why are you choosing to come to a site made for and by nurses??? I'm sure you could find a conspiracy theorist, medicine-hating forum to post on somewhere....

There was no hate or attack in his rendition on what happened-he merely stated a facton what happened to him and his wife. It was pretty sad and it happens mopre than you guys want to admit. Don't yopu think it is healthy to hear what we have happen to us? Aren't we suppose to listen and learn?
    Nurses and Doctors are accountable and unfortunately it's worse than you know. My Daughter is a Nurse in Oncology-Oh-My God-I had no Idea how much responsibility she had or how hard she worked.
    There have been many many time when she made a point to accompany a family member to the Doctor or Hospital and she was totally sick at how much she saw, and how much the Nurses disregarded the privacy of the patient and let them know it in no uncertain terms. It was-surreal.
    I am sorry if you feel attacked, there are thousands of wonderful, competent, thoughtful Nurses out there-but a lot more than you realize who are not.

i think it depends on the patient..if he/she refuses,then so be it..let a female nurse do it..it is not a big deal for me since it is expectedto some patient primarily due to cultural/religion differences...

I joined in this discussion some time ago. It's interesting to see those that are upset with the fact they might be or have been challenged with regard to the subject. When it comes to a male performing anything on a female that requires exposure to breasts or genitals, a female should be present. When my wife goes to the gyno, there's always a female nurse present. Even for a breast exam with her primary doc, a nurse is there. What changes when the setting is a hospital room?

Anyway, as a male, a female can take vitals, give meds, etc. But when it comes to underneath the johnny, it'll be a male. That's me. No woman will give me a catheter. No questions about body functions, nothing.

Actually with Obama-deathcare coming down the pike, I doubt I'll ever have a chance to argue with anyone over this subject. I'm over 55, so no healthcare for me. Might as well stop my 4 bp meds, two diuretics, diabetes meds and head meds now. Some bureaucrat will dictate what care I get and it won't be much except end of life counseling.

Merry Christmas to all, be safe in your jobs. Hope 2010 is happy and healthy for you and yours.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by dintym View Post
    I joined in this discussion some time ago. It's interesting to see those that are upset with the fact they might be or have been challenged with regard to the subject. When it comes to a male performing anything on a female that requires exposure to breasts or genitals, a female should be present. When my wife goes to the gyno, there's always a female nurse present. Even for a breast exam with her primary doc, a nurse is there. What changes when the setting is a hospital room?

Anyway, as a male, a female can take vitals, give meds, etc. But when it comes to underneath the johnny, it'll be a male. That's me. No woman will give me a catheter. No questions about body functions, nothing.

Actually with Obama-deathcare coming down the pike, I doubt I'll ever have a chance to argue with anyone over this subject. I'm over 55, so no healthcare for me. Might as well stop my 4 bp meds, two diuretics, diabetes meds and head meds now. Some bureaucrat will dictate what care I get and it won't be much except end of life counseling.

Merry Christmas to all, be safe in your jobs. Hope 2010 is happy and healthy for you and yours.
    I'm sorry that you view things so negatively. Not that it's great but my experience is a little different; Obama or otherwise. Good luck.

R

honestly its ok but in todays world i suggest for either another person to be in the room. i can tell you this cause im being charged for sexual assualt. please please please dont put yourself through this pain. have someone else with you when doing this.

Hi All:
    I am not a nurse but someone who sells to the medical profession , more specifically Hospitals, so I see tons every day.
    A few comments if I can;
    I more often than not, agree with Murmer. I find it pretty ridiculous that The nursing profession desperately wants to portray how androgynous they are when it comes to patient modesty issues. It's not like the PT's are cars lined up in a mechanic's shop!!! For many, this is their first time in a hospital, vulnerable, scared, nervous and generally very modest. It doesn't help that " You have seen it all", the PT is the one being exposed here while you the professional remain clothed. I continually observe:
    -Nurses ( both genders, although the female nurses are the most egregious)
    bathing , undressing, cathing, their pt's in full view of everyone without any regard for the PT's modesty
    -I have seen and overheard direst requests for same gender care and the pt was told it was not available, when in fact it was.
    -Patients exposed on gurney's without any consideration from the nursing staff in full view of everyone on the floor-yesterday a male was wheeled nude into the shower area , dam I felt sorry for him!!!
    -Physical exams being conducted by Doctors with the nursing staff present much to the discomfort and embarrassment of the PT, both genders tooo!!
    ( I have hard the Doctors actually tell the Pts we have seen it all and not to be childish about it, were " Professionals)"
    -Especially in Er, no consideration is given the male PT there, with the exception of the females Pt's, who are given every opportunity to have their modesty protected. I have seen the double standard, it exists and it is pretty common!
    -It's is the exception not the norm IMHO for a nurse to ask permission to do something. They pretty much just think because they are a nurse they have automatic permission to disrobe, wash, do peri care, cath, and inspect the Pt regardless of their modesty or preference for same gender care.
    IMHO, when a PT says no, it means just that, no. Just because you have lost your modesty does not mean the PT has lol.
    So please, stop with the whining already, people deserve their modesty if they want it, its the only thing they have left in most cases. And I gotta tell you, if a female nurse tried to force something on me it would not be a pretty sight either. If you cannot see things from the Pt's point of view, it may be time for you to try another profession.
    It is not in fact , all about you, it is in fact, all about the Patient.
    Having said that, I have nothing but respect for the Nursing profession!!!!

CaDad, obviously you have nothing but respect for the nursing profession. Seriously?

Ricu

I think CaDad makes some valid points. We're zeroing in on the modesty issue here, but it's more than that. There are medical professionals whose temperments range from indifferent to callous. I'd like to say this in response; What seems to draw the most attention especially to the "outsider" is the negative image. What goes un-noticed is all of the right things going on.

In my nearly thirty years of experience, I've both witnessed and been victim of those occurrances cited on his list however, proportionately, they have been relatively uncommon. The positive, and extremely positive, experiences have far out outnumbered the negative.

R

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast