Thread: Switching Gears Becoming a Legal Nurse Consultant

Switching Gears Becoming a Legal Nurse Consultant

Switching Gears Becoming a Legal Nurse Consultant Diane Barnet, RN, BA, Nursingspectrum.com:"It sounded so easy. On the strength of a guest opinion piece I wrote about the nursing shortage for The Dallas Morning News, an attorney contacted me in the spring of 2002. I was suspicious. What would a lawyer want from me? “I’d like to send you a case,” he offered. “But I don’t have any legal background,” I protested. “That doesn’t matter,” he replied. “You can write.”"
    http://community.nursingspectrum.com....cfm?AID=12518

Thought this might shed a bit of light for those getting started. Getting the ball to start rolling is the toughest part of starting a business. Once in motion, your momentum tends to carry you.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursingexperts.com

Re: Switching Gears Becoming a Legal Nurse Consultant

Diane, After spending hours researching LNC I found your article! I am just out of the gate. I signed up for the $6400 Milazzo deal but sent everything back after talking to a local LNC. I am attending the AALNC seminar in Anaheim in a few weeks and spend time in the LNC textbook (the monster!). Thanks for providing a realistic overview of this business. I need to come up with a sample work product but don't have a case yet...how do I do this? I ordered the sample work product text from AALNC. I'd love to hear from you.
    Camille Sindell, RN, CEN, Oak Park, Ca. Thanks!

I have 22 years of nursing experience in med-surg, critical care, neuro, radiology, PACU, and pych. I have been a floor nurse, traveling nurse and a supervisor. I am ready to get out of hospital nursing. I am really intersested in legal nurse consulting. Does anyone know of a different way to get the credentials besides Milazzo's course? I live in Nebraska and wasn't sure if I would have many ways to go with this. Also, am interested in forensics. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Elizabeth

There are lots of options other than Vicki Milazzo institute. Just do a internet search. Some programs are less than $1000 and some are over $3000. I'm sure the Milazzo program is high quality but I also can't afford it. My LNC friends also say that they have never used the mentoring and don't reccomend that you purchase it. But some people probably find it to be a great help. I'm just passing along information, not starting a debate over the quality of a program.

Here's an article I wrote recently for those interested in learning more about what a Legal Nurse Consultant does, what the employment prospects are - in addition to working for yourself- and how one goes about becoming one..
    Also, if anyone has suggestions and wants to add to parts of my article from their own experiences as an LNC please PM them to me.

What is Legal Nurse Consulting

Canyon College has an online CLNC program for $900. There is an internship offered for another $225, and an Advanced LNC course for $1000. Check them out online, there is a description of the course. If I can figure out how to scrape up the $$$ it's probably the program I'll try.
    Spoke with a recruiter for another online program and she said she had several Milazzo graduates come to their program after completing the Milazzo.

Hey NurseDive... I have been navigating the Good Ship Legal Nurse Consultan, trying to find something that will A.) teach me something B) not require the capital of a small 3rd World Country to get me there and back (hotel, neals, airfare, etc.)
    and C) an instructor who seems to know his stuff. I too am checking out Canyon College. It will give me CEU's + in my case a Post Master's Certificate. I plan to start within the next week or two. I have to get the book first. There is also RN Market, theirs is a little cheaper, but again, I'd rather spend that money on equipment and software I will need to laumch. I am also looing for a partner here to split costs . wish me luck and same to you, as well.

PsychARNP Kansas :-)