Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble getting hired in hosp??

Red face Re: Trouble getting hired in hosp??

The hospital where I intended to look for LVN work here in CA, got rid of their LVNs a couple months back. So there went that brilliant idea. At least one of my employers told me outright that I could not work for them when I get an RN license until I work somewhere else as an RN for at least one year. This is even though my job duties would be exactly the same.

LPN positions are available with Emeritus they have locations around the US.
    http://emerituscareers.com/

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Quote Originally Posted by tinaL View Post
    LPN positions are available with Emeritus they have locations around the US.
    http://emerituscareers.com/
    Turnover is high at the place near me.......

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    These changes are a direct result of health care reform. Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlementhe ride gets bumby from here. Even RN wages are going to suffer under this new law. Let's only hope it can be repealed!

don't quite see that....

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    These changes are a direct result of health care reform. Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlementhe ride gets bumby from here. Even RN wages are going to suffer under this new law. Let's only hope it can be repealed!
    Please explain how this is a result of "the new Healthcare reform"?
    the Hospitals in my area phased out LPNs long before Obamacare.. they did it because the LPN cannot assess.. or maintain certain more increasingly popular procedures such as Picc lines.. It was scope of practice, changing healthcare Practice models, and sicker pts that killed the acute care LPN.. at least down here in Florida.

As an new LPN I don't like it but it is next to impossible to find Acute care work.... but I was fortunate enough to get into a Acute Rehab hospital straight out of school (largely due to the years I worked there as a CNA) but was informed I was the LAST LPN they were hiring... only RN's at that point and that I had better have plans to start work on my RN. The downside is the area is practically a Nurse Mill with 4 schools putting out rounds of MA's, LPN's, and RN's as often as twice a year.... RN's have trouble finding work locally... over half my graduating class of 26 from 8 months ago still isn't working... I am only 1 of 2 with a fulltime position... so they know they can treat you however they want cause your not going anywhere without a Major relocation.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfektiv View Post
    As an new LPN I don't like it but it is next to impossible to find Acute care work.... but I was fortunate enough to get into a Acute Rehab hospital straight out of school (largely due to the years I worked there as a CNA) but was informed I was the LAST LPN they were hiring... only RN's at that point and that I had better have plans to start work on my RN. The downside is the area is practically a Nurse Mill with 4 schools putting out rounds of MA's, LPN's, and RN's as often as twice a year.... RN's have trouble finding work locally... over half my graduating class of 26 from 8 months ago still isn't working... I am only 1 of 2 with a fulltime position... so they know they can treat you however they want cause your not going anywhere without a Major relocation.
    While it is true that utilization of LVN/LPN at the hospital level has gone down for years..... The simple truth about healthcare reform is that the capitated rates Hospitals and physicians receive from government funding are going to be cut severely up to 50% in some areas of medicine. Hospital's faced with a much tighter bottom line will cut all but the most essential staff. Some hospital associations are even lobbying for the creation of a medication technician. This position used in many single payor systems is essentially a medical assistant who passes medication. Much like a pharmacy tech in the psych hospital. RN will also become obsolete as hospitals figure out the NP can do so much more.

The fact of the matter is that healthcare reform will result in fewer hospitals, fewer physicians, and substandard nursing care all because monetary cuts will force good physicians and nurses out of the industry. I am already looking into alternative business opportunities.

Also noted in the the news this week Health Insurance companies are expected to raise their rates anywhere from 10 to 30% in 2012. Why because they know that all Americans will be required to buy health insurance or face criminal penalties so they have the average American by the short hairs. So much for affordable accessable healthcare.

Time to start hoping for change

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Can any of you considering moving? Florida hires LPN's in the hospitals.

I think because of the reimbursement cut backs, the trends in acute care facilities will be changing during the next few years although it won't help anyone right now. Overall, jobs are relatively scarce for any nurse as hospitals are busy doing more with less but my guess is that the quest for Magnet certification will fall by the wayside, data supporting exclusively BSN prepared nurses will suddenly lose its impact in favor of cost containment. Those BSN positions will be lost to attrition and LPN/LVNs will replace them. I have worked with many fine LVNs and believe they are well prepared to take care of acute care patients. School only does so much and EVERY nurse has to learn the job while doing it and it depends on the individual as to whether or not (s)he rises to the challenge.

R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast