Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of male patient privacy

Lack of male patient privacy

Why are male patients not afforded the same level of privacy considerations that female patients recieve. There should be no difference. All patients
    should be given the same considerations. The patient bill of rights clearly
    states that a patient has a right to dignity and privacy and that it's not
    gender specific.
    Please don't tell me that it dosen't happen or that you don't see it
    in your workplace. What I want to know is why. Is this just a feminist
    prevalent attitude that was just taught in nursing school or is it just an
    upbringing. After recently being hospitalized twice in the last month at a
    prestigous hospital (mayo) this issue became apparent. When I arrived to
    my room in the emergency department I was asked to change into a gown.
    My room had big glass windows. Two nurses stood at the doorway and
    gigled as visitors and guests walked by as I was changing. They didn't bother
    to pull the drape. I was in a lot of pain and just complied although I should
    have said something. Once I was admitted it got worse. All total I had 7
    nurses (female) and not one seemed to care about my privacy. I just
    like my privacy thats all. I've done a little research on this and found
    that on several state nursing boards that this is grounds for license
    revocation. I find this disturbing and I what I want to do is speak to as many
    people as I can about this. I'm willing to bet this attitude is prevalent
    throughout all institutions.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lack of male patient privacy

Why didn't you just ask them to pull the curtain?

Is privacy something you have to ask for? Is should it be expected. Read
    the post. I was in pain. Really didnt notice at first. It's people like you
    that are the problem in healthcare!

Listen man, if you want to ask a legitimate question that's fine, but when someone responds and you don't hear what you want, if you're going to attack them, then you need to find somewhere else to vent.

You clearly have an agenda and if you can't calmly and rationally discuss things then go somewhere else.

AmandaWIRN is NOT THE PROBLEM. You have no idea about her, so your statement is as stereotypical as your initial stereotypes about women in the healthcare industry.

I'm a man, and while I agree there is a double standard, you are going about this in the wrong way entirely.

additionally, all she did was ask you why you didn't ask them to close them.

You could have answered her without being rude.

To answer your question:

No, you shouldn't have to ask for privacy.

However, if you noticed that people could see in, why did you not ask for them to be closed?

You state that you were in pain, but you obviously weren't in too much pain to notice that it was open and that people were looking in. If that's the case, you should have then asked for them to close the curtains.

I am sure they would have been more than happy to comply and I doubt there was any intention of disregarding your privacy.

Sometimes mistakes are made. No one is perfect. And in the ER, there are sometimes more important things to worry about and minds can forget simple things like closing curtains.

Member Extraordinaire

Thanks, Aaron

Ricu

Well, that about sums it up...

Please remember that we are humans; we make mistakes. I don't think the curtain was left open because you are a male. I know it is wrong, but sometimes I think we just get so used to seeing parts of the body that we forget that not everyone has the professional perspective we have. I work L+D, and once the initial shock wore off, I got used to seeing 20-plus people in the delivery room watching...friends, sisters, brothers, fathers, in-laws, co-workers, the list goes on and on. When I work in a facility that allows this, and with patients that actually want this, then move to another hospital, it takes a day or two to get out of the habit. And even after 15 years, I still might forget to close a curtain or a door- just remind me. I won't be offended and will probably thank you for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C. View Post
    additionally, all she did was ask you why you didn't ask them to close them.

You could have answered her without being rude.

To answer your question:

No, you shouldn't have to ask for privacy.

However, if you noticed that people could see in, why did you not ask for them to be closed?

You state that you were in pain, but you obviously weren't in too much pain to notice that it was open and that people were looking in. If that's the case, you should have then asked for them to close the curtains.

I am sure they would have been more than happy to comply and I doubt there was any intention of disregarding your privacy.

Sometimes mistakes are made. No one is perfect. And in the ER, there are sometimes more important things to worry about and minds can forget simple things like closing curtains.
    Wow, I'm really surprised with this thread. First, I'm impressed with how quickly you [Aaron C.]defended Amanda. Obviously, the OP attacked Amanda because she is a female nurse and he was venting. Yet, he was only venting and in no way could have meant anything personal. I certainly agree, he was guilty of being thoughtless & rude. However, we were all taught how transference works and patients are often guilty of doing such towards nurses.

The OP was a male patient that was not given privacy while in the ER, as well as while admitted for seven days. Yes, his generalized statement at Amanda was cold hearted & undeserved. Yet, I have noticed since being in the health care field for over 12 years how privacy is given more to female patients than male patients. Why is that? It is an every day event for a female nurse to provide nursing care to a male patient involving private areas such as bed bathes, foley catheter insertions, etc. However, it is a big no-no for a male nurse to provide similar nursing care to a female patient w/o having a female nurse as a witness in the same room. Why the double standard?

... maybe playing the devil's advocate, or advocating for male patients

Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Aaron

You need to make the distinction between double standard and patient
    privacy rights. They are two very distinct entities. A double standard being perhaps issues you encounter as a male nurse. Patient privacy is a Federally
    mandated patient bill of rights. The incident in the er was the least egregious
    failure of my privacy. As I mentioned, it got worse after I was admitted.
    Ethic of reciprocity, the golden rule. Treat others as you would like to
    be treated. Was it too much of me to expect. A little privacy and dignity. Why
    would I have to ask for that. I am a paying patient but then would it really matter. I had a kidney stone. Payment I get for working out too much perhaps and not drinking enough water. I own a business and employ 72 people. I
    provide health care benefits to all my employees. Through the health benefits
    of my employees my company contributes roughly about a million annual dollars
    to that hospital and its associated clinics.
    I spoke with my HR rep and I said you know. Our policy is just about
    up next month. Perhaps you draft a letter to the CEO of the hospital and say
    that due to the lack of respect I recieved at your facility we've chosen another
    carrier that makes our employees ineligible for care at your facility.
    Would you say that that is the way I should go about this Aaron. How
    do you think I should go about this? I pay health insurance and make my co-
    pays. Those monies is what comprises the salaries of employees at the
    hospital. That's how they pay for their homes, their food and clothing. Should
    I copy this thread along with my bad experience and send it to every nursing
    association in the country and say. Here is part of the problem in healthcare.
    Why Aaron, would I have to ask for a little privacy? Isn't that inherent
    in patient care. Tell me Aaron, how do I effect change? You seem to think I'm
    going about this all wrong! Awareness, Aaron is the first way you effect change. You first point problems out and try to change perceptions. I meant
    everything I said and don't take anything back. People want to call themselves
    professionals fine I dont care, but act like it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast