Thread: Your experiences

Your experiences

I spent years working in the ER as a staff nurse... we always had supplies, we always had meds, cleanliness was a high priority, we used current technology, our managers had our backs and we bragged about out State or JCAHO evaluations.

As a traveler, I've been placed in filthy, run-down, unsafe, on-the-verge-of-closing nursing homes with no supplies, few stock meds, few housekeepers, rusty hand-crank beds, IV poles from Vietnam, supervisors that would sooner spit on you than look at you and the State making weekly visits for months on end.

I understand that there are REASONS for a facility to have a staffing shortage and require travelers. I also understand that we should expect the harder assignments (because it's no secret that we are making more than the house staff). BUT my question is this: Are all travel assignments nightmares, or have I just had bad fortune? Are we being paid a higher rate just to put up with the conditions?
    After receiving his assignment, Tankity equips a dented helmet and tall rubber boots. With a knowing look, he then rolls up his sleeves and makes for the unit...

Re: Your experiences

I've been a nurse for 15 1/2 yrs and have travelled for the past 1 1/2. I must be really lucky, because I haven't had a bad experience yet. The equipment and facilities may not always be the newest and best, but I have never been "dumped on" in a travel job or been made to feel unwelcome or unwanted.

Thumbs up Re: Your experiences

So there's hope
    After receiving his assignment, Tankity equips a dented helmet and tall rubber boots. With a knowing look, he then rolls up his sleeves and makes for the unit...

Re: Your experiences

Where have you worked?
    I have had 8 good assignments and 2 tough ones. So, now I ask my recruiter to let me talk to a travel nurse that has worked at the hospital that I'm interviewing for. There is nothing worse than a lousy assignment.
    Kdog