Thread: Licensure in Canada for those outside of the U.S. and Mexico

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Licensure in Canada for those outside of the U.S. and Mexico

Registered Nurses from Outside North America

You'll need to contact the nursing association in the province in which you wish to be licensed and request an out-of-country application package.
    Once you've gathered all the necessary paperwork and completed your application, return it to the provincial organization. Upon receipt of your application, they'll create a file for you.
    Depending on your circumstances, you may be asked to submit academic transcripts and various other records. This information can be sent directly from the various sources to the provincial association to be added to your file.
    Once your file is complete, the provincial association will assess whether or not you qualify to write the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination (CRNE, formerly known as the CNAT), and notify you of their decision. If you qualify to write the CRNE, you'll then need to make an appointment with the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) to write the CRNE. The CNA offers the exam three times per year (February, June, October), and one or more of the provincial bodies offer it once per year (August).
    Please note: All Canadian provinces and territories, with the exception of Quebec, require that you write the CRNE as part of the registration or licensure process. Quebec has their own exam.
    Once you've written the CRNE and the provincial association receives your passing score, you'll be eligible to receive your provincial license.
    In addition, medical professionals who do not speak English as a first language must write the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination to become licensed in any Canadian province (except Quebec where French is required, and New Brunswick where French may be chosen rather than English). You may also be required to write the TSE (Test of Spoken English). Many provinces require this examination in addition to the Provinces vary in the scores required. For further information, contact the TOEFL organization.
    Visa information: You are required to have a Canadian Employment Authorization before being allowed entry and employment in Canada. Sponsorship is often required. Please contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate to inquire about obtaining an Employment Authorization.
    You can also find more information at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

'Cat'

Re: Licensure in canada for those outside of the U.S. and Mexico

Hi Cougar nurse,

This is sparowrt409, an RN from the Philippines. I would like to ask you some questions about getting a work permit if you dont mind.

My question is concerning getting a working permit from our local Canadian Embassy here in the Philippines. Based on the website for the canadian immigration website, I would need a "job offer" or a contract form a hospital inorder for me to apply for a working permit, which is one of the major requirements when applying for a work permit. Do you have any references or know any places i can contact to get a job offer? I am planning to apply in British columbia and would need to go there with a Temporary Resident Permit (visitor) Visa with a Working permit inorder for me to render the required 250 hours.

Thanks and really aprpeciate your response.

-sparrowrt409