Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long for BSN?...

How long for BSN?...

Hi Everybody! I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get your BSN if you have your ADN AND have all of your GEC's done already. I have read online that it can take 1-2 years but I dont need any GEC's... Has anyone done this before from RN-BSN? Or does anybody know anything about it? Any info would be awsome... Thanks so much :confused:

Re: How long for BSN?...

I would say that 1-2 years sounds right. I'm not sure because I didn't go that route, but I think the only real differences between ADN and BSN education is the extra classes that prep you for managerial roles. At my program, those would be professionlism, and leadership. Oh, also you'd have a research class.

As with any education, it really depends on how much time you can put into it. Would you be stuck taking only one class per semester/quarter, or could you take a few at a time?

Member Extraordinaire

You'll also have public health or community health nursing classes- something that isn't included in ADN programs

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    You'll also have public health or community health nursing classes- something that isn't included in ADN programs
    ah yes. wasn't sure about those. In fact, I didn't even remember them. lol

Member Extraordinaire

It depends on what else you have to do (ie work, family etc) but 1-2 years should do it. There are lots of online classes now with less clinical work I took 4 years just because I did 1 class at a time while working and having 3 little kids. The best way to find out is check with the school you want to go to and see what they require.

My RN-BSN program was via UTMB, Galveston School of Nursing. We had to go to the campus at the start of every semester, as well as a few times each semester. I was working full-time as an RN [ADN] while in the program. I took two courses [except one semester took only one course] every semester and finished less than 2 years.

The other post were correct regards to the additional BSN courses R/T research [which I hated], and community health, as well as nurse management courses. I encourage all ADNs' to pursue a BSN sooner, or later. The benefit being a BSN can open doors to other nursing career paths. Nonetheless, ADNs' are still great nurses. My wife has been an ADN for almost 15 years and can do circles around most BSN educated nurses.

Good luck!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Thanks for all the responses!... The school im interested in has 6 required nursing classes and I think that will be all I need. My situation is that I attended the school I am interested in for 3 years ( as a marketing major), left this year to pursue an ADN but I plan on returning to that school when I finish my adn.

I dont want to work during and I dont have any children so I hope it will take a year or less since the school does semesters & I could take 3-4 each semester. Thanks again everybody....

MagRedC5-- You think a BSN is definately worth it tho? My sis is in the same situation & she only wants her ADN but I would like to have my BSN....

Quote Originally Posted by Boochie1 View Post
    ...MagRedC5-- You think a BSN is definately worth it tho? My sis is in the same situation & she only wants her ADN but I would like to have my BSN....
    Yes, a BSN is definitely worth it in the long run. However, my wife is an awesome nurse [ADN] and she has no desire for BSN.

... only you can decide what is best for you

one of the things about the length of time to get either degree is the requirements/prereqs to get into an ADN program. My understanding is that often it takes 2 or more years to get those done, in many cases before you can even apply to get into the ADN program. In that same time, you'd already have 2 years of a BSN done (if you were accepted right into it as a freshman or transfer in).

Granted, that also depends on the BSN program and size of the school.

Quote Originally Posted by pipingmad View Post
    one of the things about the length of time to get either degree is the requirements/prereqs to get into an ADN program. My understanding is that often it takes 2 or more years to get those done, in many cases before you can even apply to get into the ADN program. In that same time, you'd already have 2 years of a BSN done (if you were accepted right into it as a freshman or transfer in).

Granted, that also depends on the BSN program and size of the school.
    It has been my experience that ADN programs have shorter waiting list than BSN programs. Plus, BSN prereqs out number the ADN prereqs. So, IMHO your logic seems a little backwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast