Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First interview tomorrow

First interview tomorrow

Recent grad and I have my first interview tomorrow. I am a little apprehensive. Any suggestions? I will be interviewing with the ER department head at a big hospital.

Ricu

Re: First interview tomorrow

Hey Rob,

I know that some of these suggestions are obvious and that others may be viewed as extreme but they're conduct and grooming basics that have stood the test of time.

Make sure you're a few minutes early, dress well and conservatively, tattoos covered, minimal jewelry, and no cologne. It's always appropriate to have hair and especially facial hair neatly groomed or be clean shaven- no stubble. Be prepared with a copy of your resume and a binder to take notes or keep material that you may be given. When you meet, smile, make eye contact and give a firm handshake; no fingersrusher or limp dishrag. Know the name of your interviewer before the meeting and when your interview starts, hand that copy of your resume in an envelope, to the person. Do this even if you know that there's one right on the desk because in a very tangible way, it makes the statement that you're responsible, professional and prepared. During the interview, sit facing the person, with good posture and leaning slightly foreward in your chair. When asked questions, pause momentarily to think. It may feel like you're silent forever but it's just a second. You will avoid impulsive statements while formulating the best possible reply. Be sure to phrase things in a way that reflects your interest in doing the job well, learning a lot and contributing as much as possible.

This all may seem like too much to bother with but remember that it's you that you're selling, not your nursing experience, yet. You have to show good character. By dressing conservatively, you demonstrate that you are respectful of yourself and others especially patients you may work with. Your specific facility may be accepting of body art, alternative hair styles and jewelry so if after you're hired, your chance to express your individuality will come. Otherwise, it will wait for out of work time and you will not have committed the mistake of assumption.

Even when you do have nursing experience to market , don't forget that you the person, has to be sold too.

I've been on both sides of the desk, Good luck.

R

Thanks for the advice. I did what you said and I got the Job!

It is amazing that finally the day I have worked for and dreamed about is here. I will be working as an ER nurse. The first 12 weeks will be an internship and I also have gotten approval to take the NCLEX from the board of nurse examiners.

I really want to be a good nurse and make a difference.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Congrats, Rob! Glad to hear you got the job. Good luck on State Boards, too. I hope you let us know how both the job AND test go, though I am sure you will pass 'that test'pretty easily.

'Cat'

Goood Luck!!!

good luck with both things!

As I've told my classmates to do when they took the NCLEX...

Sit down, relax, and take a deep breath. Calm and center yourself before starting.

Great! Let us know how you are progressing.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Took my math test at the hospital and passed okay. My physical and drug screen is Monday. Nothing to worry about unless they gig me for being a little overweight.

I am struggling with taking the NCLEX on Wednesday or rescheduling for a later date. My wife says just do it. If I fail I will not be able to work or retest for 50 days. I think I know my stuff but still it's an unknown.

After I pass and look back I can laugh but right now it's no laughing matter.

Member Extraordinaire

I say take the test with things fresh in your mind if you've studied all along studing more just ads to frustration (for me) like Nike just do it

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by No Prob Rob View Post
    Took my math test at the hospital and passed okay. My physical and drug screen is Monday. Nothing to worry about unless they gig me for being a little overweight.

I am struggling with taking the NCLEX on Wednesday or rescheduling for a later date. My wife says just do it. If I fail I will not be able to work or retest for 50 days. I think I know my stuff but still it's an unknown.

After I pass and look back I can laugh but right now it's no laughing matter.

Hey Rob,

Congrats on the math test. On the matter of the NCLEX, I agree with the others- take the test ASAP. In the meantime, don't study. Like you said yourself, you're probably more than ready. What happens though, is that people overprepare. They cram until they're so exhausted and paranoid, that they choke on exam day. Do yourself a favor and put away your books, notes, flashcards and everything else nursing now and lighten up. Practice stress reduction exercises, deep breathing, meditation, whatever works and get really good at it. Take Benadryl, Nyquil, melatonin or something else light the night before the test so you get enough sleep but no booze. If you do drink, save it for the celebration when you know you've passed.

Good luck,

R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast