Thread: Navy Corpsman (Out of State - Non-Resident) - LVN Exam Options??

Navy Corpsman (Out of State - Non-Resident) - LVN Exam Options??

I am currently a Navy Corpsman stationed in Texas, I currently have a general studies associates degree. I have been a corpsman for 11 years and have a broad range of experience. I want to pursue a LVN to RN BSN program, however the issue I have is that it requires an LVN to enter the program.

Texas currently does not allow Navy Corpsman to challenge the LVN exam. I meet all the minimum requirements for corpsman challenging the California LVN, however I currently do not reside in California and am not a California residents.

Should I still be able to challenge the test regardless of location or residency?

Also, are there any other states, where I could possibly challenge the test in my current situation?

Thanks for all the replies...l

Re: Navy Corpsman (Out of State - Non-Resident) - LVN Exam Options??

Hey another Corpsman! I went to Corps School in `97. I was on the USS LaSalle (AGF-3) from 97-99 and in Millington, TN from 99-01 when I got out.

From what I undersand is that California is the only place that lets you sit for the LVN exam. The college I'm going to for ADN, and they let me out of A&P1, but I've had to take all the other required courses. A friend of mine took all his pre-req's while still in since the TA is so good. Good luck!

I can't speak form any experience as a corp man or LVN, but I have seen several LPNs go through my RN BSN program. I was surprised but they had to take almost all of the same classes as any freshman entering the program with no experience.

Unless you're willing to relocate to Cali, maybe you could just investigate getting into a BSN (non-bridge) program from the get go.

Ehh, I wish I could help. I went thru A-school in San Diego back in 1996. I don't see why they won't let you challenge them. I remember getting a package of stuff from one of the nurses on the Tarawa when I did a West Pac with BLT 1/4 in 1998. I guess it was some stuff to get signed off that would've made my life easier had I ever wanted to challenge a LPN board. Lol, being a 19 y/o kid at the time (that had zero interest in being a nurse) I just blew it off

I thought about challenging the LPN board here in Okla a few years ago when I looked at their website, but I didn't pursue it. I remember seeing something on their website pretty much welcoming Air Force medics and some of the Army medics buy nothing about us Navy folk. As far as I went with it was sending them a copy of my SMART transcript.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman96 View Post
    I am currently a Navy Corpsman stationed in Texas, I currently have a general studies associates degree. I have been a corpsman for 11 years and have a broad range of experience. I want to pursue a LVN to RN BSN program, however the issue I have is that it requires an LVN to enter the program.

Texas currently does not allow Navy Corpsman to challenge the LVN exam. I meet all the minimum requirements for corpsman challenging the California LVN, however I currently do not reside in California and am not a California residents.

Should I still be able to challenge the test regardless of location or residency?

Also, are there any other states, where I could possibly challenge the test in my current situation?

Thanks for all the replies...l
    Why not go straight for your BSN? The clinicals will be cake for you! BTW, the Army has several different programs to pursue RN. Does the Navy?

Thank you for your military service.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN