Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morale in your facility/work place

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Morale in your facility/work place

Just wondering....how do you all keep morale up in your work place? :39:

'Cat'

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Morale in your facility/work place

When I was in WI, before I started traveling, my co-workers and I would sometimes go out for Bloody Marys in the morning after a bad night at work....

Member Extraordinaire

Don't join the ***** and moan club it just pulls everyone down. Everybody has a bad day now and then but dont' make it every day. Decide what is important to you in your life ie...health, family and then decide that everything else is just extra and there's no need getting made because the person you follow forgot I&o's left a dry IV, took too many smoke breaks... have fun and laugh at work it makes the day go faster....I'm not Susie Sunshine but if you can't be with the one's you love love the ones you're with at least for 8 or 12 hours...don't sweat the small stuff.....
    I've been up all night on that darn night shift see what it does to me ...but my DH made me french toast when I got home.

Cass, what a sweet guy. I get a cuppa joe in the a.m., especially when I hit the site first thing. Kinda helps before the p & m club starts up a few hours later.

Ricu

Hi folks,

I think Cass hit the nail on the head. A person does a lot for workplace morale by contributing to the positive things and intentionally avoiding the negative. Doing so is like putting money in the bank; sometimes you need to take a little but there is always enough if you deposit more than you withdrawl. Thanks Cougar, for starting a really good thread.

R

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Morale in your facility/work place

I'd have to say that morale where I work is pretty high. Of course there's some bickering between shifts at times but even that is minor! Maybet it's because we work 8's and we're not so exhausted at the end of a shift. Our management is pretty decent too. They throw a big bar-b-q once a month for day and PM staff and a breakfast for nocs. They also have an open door policy where you can talk to the DON or Ceo anytime you have a concern. It's certainly the best place I've ever worked.

On the unit we keep up morale by helping eachother out. Our facility is Acute Psych and can be trying and even dangerous at times but we all pitch in when situations arise.

As far as my team goes - I will sometimes buy them lunch - I know that not everyone can afford to this but it's really nice to know your work is appreciated.

I agree with cass that you can't sweat the small stuff (and it's all small stuff as long as no one gets hurt) Concentrate on the positives and deal with the negatives but don't dwell.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Hi guys this is my first post here....

Interesting topic. My workplace has pretty low morale overall. I work at a busy public hospital and it's gotten to the point where workplace psychiatrists have had to step in and intervene between the higher echelons and us lowly level 1 nurses

It's that bad that they actually had to shut the operating theatres down for an entire day to do workshops on how to improve staff morale (an unprecedented event. The thing was though, we were told we had to come up with strategies to improve workplace efficiency, behaviors and how to manage pressure.......however.

We were told that we were not going to be given any extra resources or equipment...........:confused:

You can just imagine how this went down.....

The nurses and anaesthetists all unanimously agreed that the surgeons attitudes and treatment towards nurses and other staff members plays a significant role. So now the surgeons are undergoing workshops to improve their behavior :o

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub Nurse View Post
    Hi guys this is my first post here....

Interesting topic. My workplace has pretty low morale overall. I work at a busy public hospital and it's gotten to the point where workplace psychiatrists have had to step in and intervene between the higher echelons and us lowly level 1 nurses

It's that bad that they actually had to shut the operating theatres down for an entire day to do workshops on how to improve staff morale (an unprecedented event. The thing was though, we were told we had to come up with strategies to improve workplace efficiency, behaviors and how to manage pressure.......however.

We were told that we were not going to be given any extra resources or equipment...........:confused:

You can just imagine how this went down.....

The nurses and anaesthetists all unanimously agreed that the surgeons attitudes and treatment towards nurses and other staff members plays a significant role. So now the surgeons are undergoing workshops to improve their behavior :o
    It sounds like you're talking about OR. On some of my observations while in school, I heard many things about attitudes in the OR, mostly regarding the docs, but also some nurses too.

I'm starting an OR job soon an dI hope it doesn't end up similar to that. They had me in for a shadow day and it was very good. They play music of all sorts and joke around a lot. The best thing about it is that they make sure the docs aren't all high and mighty. People are all on a first name basis. I think I'll enjoy it a lot! :-)

The moral where I am has gone to hell in a handbasket, down one heck of a slope. There really isn't one specific factor, but many, and quite a few are in denial. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    The moral where I am has gone to hell in a handbasket, down one heck of a slope. There really isn't one specific factor, but many, and quite a few are in denial. Yeesh.
    Same where I work. Constant bickering among staff, physicians, CNAs. Management hides out in the offices only to show their faces to complain about how nurses can't seem to do 5 things at one time. The medical director walks around and actually ignores the nurses, just as if they were not present. If you talk to him he plays deaf and has actually walked into a few that haven't removed themselves from his path (think he needs a psych consult). It is starting to get physical. I have bit run over by wheelchairs and stretchers at least 5 times in the past week, accompanies by snickers when I indicate the pain it caused. I've never seen anything so dysfunctional and am starting to look elsewhere.
    :houra:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast