Thread: i'm frustrated

i\'m frustrated

i'm new to this...hi, i'm 49, i've been a nurse for 17 years, with many spent working myself into a corner (albeit a specialty.) it all served me well until i left it over a year ago because i was burned out. too much resposibility, sicker pts, managed care, feeling like i needed to try something new. i went to south america as a volunteer nurse. IT WAS GREAT. but i had to come back (i was out of money) and now after a trial in medical device sales (ugh), a second trial in community health (i got fired!), my year in a poverty stricken village, and years in a specialty that was not acute nursing, I cannot find a job!! still can't believe i got fired!! i am freaking out! there are all these jobs but the field seems brutal and unforgiving...

Re: i\'m frustrated

I can certainly understand your frustration. I was fired last fall after 25 years...my own stupidity..but it took 3 months to find a job. And ther is a nursing shortage. Hang in there. Don't give up yet. You will find your area.

hey thanks for the encouragement!
    Laurita

You have been a nurse for 17 years I don't think that you have forgotten how to do it. Hang in there and it will work out for you.

I'd keep on scanning the classified. There are plenty of nursing jobs out there.

Maybe you could try working night shift or get into a weekend program where things are not quite as hectic.

Don't feel self-conscious about being fired, just put down the dates of employment, most employers legally can't ask/tell if you were fired or not.

Hope you find something that agrees with you. With all the different options in nursing out there, you'll find something you'll like eventually.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinghumor.com