Thread: L&d

Cool L&d

Just wondering if someone could tell me the major difference between low risk and high risk L&D nursing? I know that high risk is more fast paced but on low risk units you can still have high risk pregnancies.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: L&d

Quote Originally Posted by demkev View Post
    Just wondering if someone could tell me the major difference between low risk and high risk L&D nursing? I know that high risk is more fast paced but on low risk units you can still have high risk pregnancies.
    High risk isn't always more fast paced. High risk L&D is high risk pregnancy. Some hospitals take care of whatever comes along then some have high risk units where every patient on the unit is high risk it may be because the baby has some problem, extreme prematurity risk, pre-existing conditions in the mother ie brittle diabetics, uncontrolled hypertension, heart problems, morbid obesity, high # multiples quads, quints,twin-twin transfusions, placental implantation problems. Low risk are the normal run of the mill 40 week pregnancies with no prenatal problems..which can quickly turn into an emergeny delivery. OB depends on the day of the week on who is faster paced

Wink Re: L&d

Thank You So Much Cassioo, that was helpful. I guess a nurse who is used to doing low risk couldn't necessarily handle a high risk unit. I don't know, I guess it really depends on the individual. What does anyone think? Thanks

Member Extraordinaire

I"m not anyone else I'm just answering again. High Risk OB is where a good M/S background comes in if you are taking care of a mom with and underlying medical problem. Abnormalaties with the fetus don't always change the status of the mom and her care would be the same as any other pregnant woman. All labor nurses should know how to take care of those pregnancies that turn high risk during labor as anybody can abrupt, have uterine rupture, eclampsia etc etc. You right it depends on the nurse some are not comfortable taking care of higher risk patients. (we've delivered mom's on vents before..pregnant when they had an accident and ICU didn't want them we didn't want the vent but we lost) If your hospital doesn't usually take care of high risk patients nurses should still keep up to date on what to do for them (conferences, articles etc) you never know when they will just appear and not have time to transfer to a higher level of care.

Smile Re: L&d

Cassioo,

That is so true. Thanks a bunch.

DemKev

I have been an L&D nurse for 10 yrs, and to me "high risk" is anything outside the norm. PIH, Gest diabetes, even AMA can be defined as "high risk". I work in a level 1 in Dallas, TX and anyone who is stable, under 35 wk, in need of delivery D/T PIH,HELLP, PROM, etc; we transfer to a "high risk" facility. If delivery is eminate, we have the transport team there @ delivery if possible.

I've done L+D for 14 of the past 15+ yrs, all levels of care. But one thing that really has stuck with me was something said by one of the docs at my first job. "The only stable OB patient is 6 weeks postpartum." How true!!!

Smile Re: L&d

Quote Originally Posted by demkev View Post
    high risk labor and delivery is nursing that deals with patients that have other conditions that coincide with the pregnancy such as Hypertension- which could cause immediate risks during delivery, diabetes which can harm mom and fetus, and sickle cell which cause cause fetal and maternal problems during pregnancy and delivery that needs special equipment and specially trained staff the handle them. Low risk labor involves routine pregnancies that may or may not have potential problems that require special attention and equipment such as NICU beds for preterm infants.