Thread: HELP!! To ER from ICU???

HELP!! To ER from ICU???

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and have a question for all who are willing to take the time to answer. I am currently an RN working in an ICU in a hospital about 50 miles from my house. I work the night shift 1900-0700. I am seriously considering resigning for a job in an er close to my house for a shift during the day. The night shift is ruining my life..i am on blood pressure medication at 25 and am tired all the time. I cant focus on school work, etc. I feel as though I would love the er as I love the fast pace quick thinking environments, but am comfortable where I work and with the people I work with and am nervous about the transition. Can anybody give me any advice? It would all be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Jeanine R.

Re: HELP!! To ER from ICU???

I don't know if I can ease your mind, but the ICU to ER transition is pretty common.
    Tom, RN. . . Neuro ICU, ER, Level 1 Trauma, Chronic Dialysis, Bone Marrow Transplant

Re: HELP!! To ER from ICU???

Hi . I too am new to this site , but I also made this same transition about 3 years ago . I was an ICU nurse for about 15 years and I understand the apprehension . It is different as it usually does not focus on ongoing inpatient care , but rather " get them in and get them out " ie stabilize and discharge , transfer , admit or ship. Many of the same skills are required but you really need to be very organized and know how to priorize . It is different but you will never be bored HA ! HA ! . Good Luck !:google-nurse:

Quote Originally Posted by nightnurse50 View Post
    Hi . I too am new to this site , but I also made this same transition about 3 years ago . I was an ICU nurse for about 15 years and I understand the apprehension . It is different as it usually does not focus on ongoing inpatient care , but rather " get them in and get them out " ie stabilize and discharge , transfer , admit or ship. Many of the same skills are required but you really need to be very organized and know how to priorize . It is different but you will never be bored HA ! HA ! . Good Luck !:google-nurse:
    this is very true. the motto of the ER is "TREAT EM & STREET EM". you want to get them in, get sh*t done, and get them out- whether it be transferred, discharged, or admitted. the quicker the better. short term care prevents the getting attached. here you go, here's your medicine, you're fixed, and get the f*#k out. LOL

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I did night shift work for three years - I always had a hard time with it - It's hard enough to sleep at night but day sleeping with all the ambiant day time noise and have a young child at home just didn't work for me. After I went through "Recovery" see my story elswhere. My Doctor advised and I agreed that night shift was not something conducive to my long term physical and mental health.

Do what's best for you - find out how other nurses like the facility you are looking at! ER is a fast paced environment but all ER's are different. I spend a fair amount of time in ER's with my consumers and there are huge disparities in how staff approach pt care. Sadly much depends on the attitude of administration. "Treat 'em and street 'em is all well and good" but many of my clients getting "streeted" without receiving any real treatment. I know nurses who have left the ER because they have seen too many people who are really sick get sent home.

Personally I love ER nurses especially those that work at the teaching hospitals where we get great care.

Think over your choice and make a change.

Peace and Namste

Hppy
    Last edited by hppygr8ful; 01-29-2011 at 02:26 PM.