Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency room violence growing concern for nurses

Re: Emergency room violence growing concern for nurses

As sadd as it may seem, yes were are targets of violence and disrespect though we are trying to care for all sorts of folks from all walks of life. I attempt to be non-judgemental, and compassionate in all cases however I refuse to be assualted, abused, and disrespected physically, no matter what the cost because I have to live with, and die as me with or without a nursing job, get my drift.....:39:

:endof:

Exclamation Re: Emergency room violence growing concern for nurses

Woofinrain,

In California, it is a felony to assult a helathcare worker. The first place I would go is to the police to make a report. You wrote that this patient beat you up. If this happen in a supermarket, you would call the police. Why would we not defend ourselves at work. We are nurses, yes. However, we are US citizens that live in a country that has laws TO PROTECT US, even in Georgia. Go get 'em!!! :mad:
    www.tahoecabinrentals.com/lakeviewcabin/
    short term leases for travel nurses

I have a lot of thoughts on this issue.

Other hospital ER's I've been at in Wisconsin and Oregon actually ban repeat offenders from the ER. They either show up to the ED drunk, an ambulance is called for them because they are passed out drunk, or they get violent with the staff. I wish more hospitals did this.

One of the things that really irks me though is that I'm paying to give them care. The over 1/3 of my paycheck that is taken out in taxes goes for paying for these people. And yes I too have seen people with fur coats, driving pimped up cars, with a lot of bling and cell phones that are on Medicaid. They use the system.

I have been spit on, scratched, verbally threatened, and choked in my 6 years as an ED RN. Did I defend myself? No. Did I press charges? No. Will I next time? Yes. I'm soon to be a 2nd degree black belt and next time I'll use my training.

I had an incident where I've lost all my faith in my hospitals public safety (security) to help me. And I've lost faith in my co-workers. Its sad to know that no one has your back. And its sad to know that the rest of the staff and administration except it.

Unfortunately as we are becoming more tied up with press gainey scores and such. Plus all the other legalities we have to deal with. Plus highly ineffective security guards. Violence will continue to escalate.In the years past I would protect all the nurses I worked with. And I did so very well. I did lose a few teeth, and cracked a few of my ribs, Bit by someone who swallowed a silver dollar sized meat out of my forearm. Thats the old silver dollar, not these new ones. However now due to legalities, and my get older, thus I dont heal as well as I used to. I am no longer the RN Protector. Except for the few of my old friends still working there.
    Cracked ribs, strained shoulders, lumbar strain can all most certainly take their toll on me and really mess my golf game up. But the last straw for me is I had to take a patient down to the floor, and the young muscular doctor, saw me and said he would go get some help and haldol. He is in his early thirties Im in my late 50s. He should have held the pt down and let me go get the med.
    Bottom line is nothing is allowed to cause me pain or adversley affect my golf game

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12