Thread: Dealing with death

Anonymous

Dealing with death

Hi, I'm a first year nursing student and today I delt with my first death. I felt as though I was fine until they put the body in the bag and I had to assist with transfering the bag. I realize death is never easy, but at any point does it get better?

Being a student I want nothing more that to feel confident in what I'm doing and though I'm a good student I have so many questions......When will it all come together...????

Re: Dealing with death

it all comes with time...when I was a nursing student I had to deal with my first death eventhough it was not as direct as yours( I saw my pt deteriorate rapidly in just one day and the next morning he died just before my shift) It was hard for me because I was talking with him and his family the day before. You will never be numbed by the situation but in time you will be able to cope with it much better and realize that it is a process of life. Hopfully you will be able to make your dying pt's quality of life positive in the care that you will provide them...and that is what is important. Hang in there, you will do fine.

Hi, I would like to add to your post here and say that yes in time you learn how to deal more effectively with your own feelings as well as the family members who have lost a loved one. It's ok to cry, it's ok to do whatever comforts yourself as well as the family. I believe that you will never be able to separate your emotional feelings from the job, and why should you? You are human and you deserve to feel human emotions as well, we are not robots nor should we expect ourselves to act like them. Sometimes I just need to escape to the bathroom and take in a deep breathe and realize that even though someone is dying, there are others still living that need you. So congrats on realizing you are human and have feelings, we all do and it's healthy. Good luck!

Totally agree